Cup revenge over Bradford Park Avenue is tasting so sweet for Guiseley

Wharfedale Observer: Wayne Brooksby fires in a shot through a crowd of Avenue players Buy this photo » Wayne Brooksby fires in a shot through a crowd of Avenue players

Guiseley 3, Bradford Park Avenue 0

Guiseley gained emphatic revenge for their FA Cup defeat by defeating their nearest neighbours in Skrill Conference North in the Carlsberg FA Trophy.

However, the third-round tie at Nethermoor involved some late drama before the Lions were assured of their passage into the last 16 by a score that matched their league victory of five days previously.

Avenue thought they had a strong claim for a penalty in the second half, when the score was only 1-0, and they ended the game with ten men as Richard Marshall was sent off immediately afterwards for a second yellow card.

The Lions – who are now unbeaten in 13 games – were good value for what was a deserved win but two goals in stoppage time could be deemed harsh on Bradford.

A depleted Avenue had Alex Davidson as stand-in skipper against his former club, who made a whirlwind start.

Home defender Ben Parker had a header cleared off the line following a second-minute corner, and Gavin Rothery saw his wind-assisted long-range shot saved by John Lamb.

All that action came before the Lions took a ninth-minute lead. Left back Parker got his goal when he followed in to stab home from close range after Rothery crossed into the goalmouth following a set-piece.

Avenue’s first attempt on goal followed a slick passing move from Jordan Deacey and Nicky Boshell, culminating in the latter trying his luck from an acute angle. However, Lions keeper Steve Drench got down at the foot of his post to collect.

Midway through the half, Lamb had to be alert to fingertip a Wayne Brooksby free-kick over the bar.

From the resulting corner, Danny Hall headed just over as Guiseley continued to create clear openings.

Avenue’s chances were few and far between but they forced two corners in the 36th minute, and when the second was only half-cleared, Jason St Juste sent in a cross that was deflected into the safe hands of Drench.

But Drench was beaten minutes later when Chib Chilaka, who had been picked out by a superb crossfield pass, sent in a low centre that Davidson stabbed in from close range but the ball had gone out of play before reaching the Avenue captain.

Guiseley should have doubled their lead soon after when they came close three times in the blink of an eye.

Craig Hobson, who had come on for the injured Danny Forrest (hamstring) in the 36th minute, got a good downward header on target but St Juste scooped it off the line.

A corner to the home side was the out-come, and from that Hall fired in a shot that cannoned back off the crossbar.

The pressure was still on and Brooksby curled a shot from just outside the area that whistled just wide of the angle.

The second half was more even in terms of possession, and Guiseley could have come to rue their earlier profligacy when Paul Walker appeared to be fouled inside the Lions area three minutes from time.

The referee waved play on and Guiseley broke away, Marshall ending the break by pulling back Johnson – a challenge that the referee deemed worthy of a yellow card.

As the midfielder had been booked two minutes earlier, he was shown a red card.

As Avenue pushed for the goal that would have taken the tie back to Horsfall, the calm Rothery got on the end of a superb Danny Boshell through ball to make it 2-0.

Then, in the fifth minute of stoppage time, Alex Johnson netted a third, holding off two defenders in the area before shooting beyond Lamb.

Avenue boss John Deacey said: “For me the sending off was a turning point. From us having a man fouled in the area they break and we go down to ten men.

“Guiseley were much the better side in the first half but I thought we im-proved after the break.

“We are struggling though. We are down to the bare bones of the squad. When you have to bring the assistant manager (Mark Hume) on its embarrassing.”

Opposite number Mark Bower had a different view. He said: “I had a good view of the penalty claim and I didn’t think it was one. I thought he went to ground very easily. It was very theatrical and he wasn’t going to get the ball anyway.”

Guiseley exacted revenge on Bradford Park Avenue for their FA Cup defeat earlier this season, registering a comfortable victory against an Avenue side they had beaten by the same scoreline in the Skrill North earlier in the week.

Guiseley: Drench; Holdsworth (Capt), Parker; Potts, Lawlor, Hall; Brooksby, Boshell (D), Johnson, Forrest (Hobson, 35), Rothery. Subs not used: Harrison, Whitfield, Swain, Dickinson.

Avenue: Lamb; Howarth, Price (Hume, 80); Marshall, Clayton (Maxfield, 63), St Juste; Chilaka (Corner, 60), Boshell (N), Davidson (Capt), Deacy, Walker. Subs not used: Grayson, McMurray.

Referee: Ian Hussin.

Attendance: 476.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree