BAILDON Trinity Athletic keeper Dave Naylor was both hero and villain in their 3-2 home defeat to Ripon City in Division Two of the West Yorkshire League.

Remarkably, he scored the goal from a kick-out to make it 2-2 but then fumbled the ball straight to a visiting player for City's winner.

Both sides made cagey starts, and Baildon's first chance fell to Ben Craven, who was one-on-one with Ripon's keeper but tried an audacious chip which went straight into his hands.

Ripon broke the deadlock after a shot hit a post and fell to their striker for a tap in, and just before the break they made it 2-0 after the ball fell to an umarked player after a goalmouth scramble.

Baildon started the second half brightly and soon pulled one back, with Louis Francis finishing well, and then Naylor was in the limelight for good and bad reasons.

IN the top-of-the-table clash in Division One, leaders Wyke Wanderers defeated second-placed Whitkirk Wanderers 3-2.

Wyke started very well, with Matt Conway working hard, and he dispossessed an opponent before laying the ball back to Ryan Clay, whose cross nearly resulted in the opening goal.

On the half-hour, Joe Entwhistle found Cameron Day, whose shot was tipped over, but from the resulting corner, Conway crossed to the far post, where Karl Fawcett headed in.

Clay almost scored Wyke's second goal with a fierce shot but they did go further in front when Conway chased a lost cause and crossed for Fawcett to complete his brace.

Whitkirk reduced the arrears from a free-kick and, in the middle of a torrential downpour, Conway was fouled and Fawcett stepped up to convert the spot-kick and complete his hat-trick.

Whitkirk replied immediately with a 25-yard shot, and both sides had further chances before Wyke held out for a valuable victory.

Wyke Wanderers Reserves moved off the bottom of Alliance Division Two following their 3-1 win against Sherburn White Rose Reserves.

In a dominant display, Wyke went ahead after five minutes through Kane Mirfield.

Sherburn equalised but Wanderers were not to be outdone, and with Louis Sterling's pace causing problems and Liam Hartley having a great game in midfield, Mirfield deservedly put them ahead.

Hartley scored a third goal for Wyke to give them their first points of the season, and was voted man of the match.