Vanarama National League: Bromley 2 Guiseley 1

A STOPPAGE-time goal ended a brave attempt by ten-man Guiseley to snatch a draw from their trip to Bromley’s H2T Group Stadium at Hayes Lane.

The Lions had lost Victor Nirennold to a second yellow card in the 70th minute with the game still goalless, but two of the Ravens’ substitutes grabbed late goals to condemn Guiseley to their 21st defeat of an arduous season.

Performances have picked up under caretaker boss Sean St Ledger, and the former Republic of Ireland defender will have been pleased with the efforts of his squad as they deserved at least a draw from a game in which they negated the threat of tenth-placed Bromley.

The visitors created the first chance when James Roberts’ sixth-minute cross found Dayle Southwell, but his shot was superbly blocked by Ravens’ skipper Jack Holland.

Bromley responded by going close themselves, with Brandon Hanlan rounding Lions keeper Luke Coddington but placing his shot wide of the target from an angle .

Nirennold almost broke the deadlock ten minutes before half-time when his near-post flick was cleared from a packed goalmouth.

A later John Rooney free-kick picked out Harry Flowers but the big defender headed wide.

Nirennold picked up the first of his yellow cards when he fouled the troublesome Hanlan a minute before the interval.

Louis Dennis hit the resulting free-kick into the wall and then fired the rebound wide.

There was a big moment early in the second half as Dennis went round Alex Purver and Nirennold but couldn’t find a way past Coddington, with the keeper making a good save to deny the Ravens’ attacker.

Guiseley captain Kayode Odejayi saw his flick-on roll across the face of goal just after the hour mark, which was another big moment in a game of few chances.

It began to unravel as Nirennold was forced to take another one for the team as he brought down George Porter, resulting in his dismissal.

Just three minutes later, Josh Rees, who had only been on the pitch for five minutes, pounced to slot home after Coddington could only parry a shot from Porter.

The Lions thought that they had secured a draw when Rooney fired past Bromley keeper Dave Gregory in the 88th minute.

However, Omar Bugiel was introduced by Ravens boss Neil Smith and, in the first minute of time added on, he latched onto a lay back and found the bottom corner of Coddington’s net via a slight deflection.

Guiseley remain rooted to the foot of the table, 11 points from safety.