Course lengthened as club moves with the times

East Bierley opened its doors in 1929 and prides itself on its friendly, community feel.

Its single-storey clubhouse,pictured, opened in 1990, acts as a social club for the south Bradford village.

Like many nine hole courses, East Bierley has had to move with the times.

For many years it had a professional who doubled up as the greenkeeper, but changing times mean that the two functions are now separated.

East Bierley’s current pro is Geoff Whitham, who has been there for five years.

Golf has changed, too, and as technological advances for equipment made the ball fly much further, so East Bierley rose to the challenge.

In the last few years, the club bought some surrounding land and was able to lengthen the course. With initial help from the Sports Turf Research Institute, and two years in the development, most of the work was done in-house, reflecting the ‘can do’ approach of many nine-holers.

Four new holes were created – for example, the ninth hole became 100 yards longer, from a medium length par four to a genuine par five.

The result is a much tougher course which is keenly appreciated by the membership. Most is drawn from the local community, and East Bierley went into this season in the happy position of having a full membership.

The club plays its full part in the Bradford Union of Golf Clubs, entering teams in the Scratch League, 8-15 League, Rabbits League and Junior League.

FACT FILE

Name: East Bierley Golf Club

Address: South View Road, East Bierley, BD4 6PP

Website: None

Telephone: (01274) 681023

President: Graham Anderson

Club pro: Jeff Whitham

Annual fee: £475

Visitor fee: £15 Mon-Sat

Course length: 5,224 yards

Par: 68

Signature hole: 9th – long and accurate hitting required

Shop: Yes