Guiseley manager Steve Kittrick has carried out his threatened pruning of the outfield squad prior to their first game of the Blue Square Bet North season on Saturday, August 13.

Gone are defender Anthony Lloyd and midfielder Luke Sharry, as well as trialist goalkeeper James Bennett.

Kittrick said: “Anthony Lloyd has gone to Stocksbridge Park Steels, and I should have some news on our back-up goalkeeper to Steve Drench after the game at Farsley on Saturday.”

Lloyd played in two play-offs with Huddersfield Town at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, and made 42 starts for the Terriers and 20 for Torquay United on loan.

He was an FA Trophy semi-finalist with York City, for whom he made 45 appearances in two spells, and was a fans’ favourite at Nethermoor.

Leeds-born Sharry was signed last summer after being released by Bradford City, where he made one league appearance and spent a month on loan at Barrow.

Kittrick had witnessed ‘chalk-and-cheese’ performances by his squad in their two latest pre-season friendlies.

They lost 1-0 at Nostell Miners’ Welfare on Saturday but won 5-0 at Harrogate Railway Athletic on Tuesday night. Kittrick said: “The players might not have known what to expect at Nostell – but I did.

“It was their cup final and our two displays were the difference between a team of UniBond players and players who are used to playing at our level.

“We had chances against Nostell and couldn’t put them away and they had one chance and took it.

“But it should be remembered that the players are still getting used to each other and different formations.”

Danny Forrest and Lee Elling-ton snatched at chances in the first half and the Lions also lost Alex Davidson to injury just before the break, Joe O’Neill replacing him up front. Second-half substitute Gavin Rothery brought a superb save from Gavin Ansley early on and Michael Burns fired a free-kick just wide.

O’Neill’s effort forced a reflex save but when the ball fell to Forrest, it became caught between his feet and when it broke loose, Joey Spivack put his effort from six yards the wrong side of the post.

The only goal of the game came from a wayward back pass that went straight to Brad Thompson, who held off Danny Ellis before firing wide of Anthony Pecora.

Spivak put a shot just over before the end but as is the nature of these games, with a raft of second-half changes by both teams, the game lost some of its momentum.

There was a marked improve-ment in midweek as Guiseley notched their first win of pre-season after defeats by Bradford City and Nostell MW.

Goals for the Lions in a confi-dent team display came from Burns, Ellington, James Booker, Forrest and Simon Ainge.

Guiseley, who played with more fluency, broke the deadlock after a Railway corner was caught by Drench.

The Lions broke away and, after some good passing, Burns was put through on goal and finished well.

Harrogate nearly equalised when Steve Palfrey was put through and Drench made a great save at full stretch. Dave Merris then nearly doubled the scores, slicing a volley just wide of the post from a tight angle.

The visitors started the second half with a high-pressing tempo but were nearly caught on the break when Andy Liddell hit the outside of Drench’s far post.

Guiseley got their second when Ellington tapped in after two eff-orts from Rothery, and it was 3-0 minutes later when a superb Forrest cross was fumbled and Booker, with his first touch, scored the easiest of chances at the far post. Forrest and Ainge completed the comprehensive win.

After facing Farsley on Saturday, Guiseley have another derby at Thackley on Tuesday.