ONCE again there was a restricted Women’s Football programme after postponements, but some teams utilised local all-weather facilities to ensure games went ahead.

Bradford (Park Avenue) were at Woodkirk Academy 3G for a West Riding County League, Premier Division game against Morley Town.

A new-look Morley were playing their first League game since November. They are now led by new captain Danielle Shepherd, with Danielle Biglin, Amelia Bloomer, goalie Roz Gresswell and Emily Heckler among others also making their first appearance for Morley.

A tight first half saw Avenue with a solid, defensive team performance and quite a few chances. Morley Town’s goalie made a spectacular save, but Avenue still went in 1–0 up at half time.

Avenue really showed their passing ability, with three fantastic finishes to seal a 3–0 win. On target were Kirsty Russell-Holt with a well-taken brace, and a shout-out to Orla Durkin for scoring her first BPA goal in what was a Player-of-the-match performance.

League leaders Skipton Town hosted local rivals Silsden Juniors in a tough battle at Sandylands 3G, in front of a bumper crowd.

After an even first half, Silsden surrendered a lot of possession as Skipton turned up the pressure. But Silsden showed a lot of determination to keep the score at 0–0, with Sils’ ’keeper Katie Elliot having a great game, pulling off some vital saves and commanding her area. Silsden also came close to snatching a win with the best chance of the game when Anna Fryers went close from the edge of the box, with the goal vacated. A great performance from two resilient teams ended goal-less.

Athletico travelled over to Dewsbury to meet Rangers Athletic, hoping to get back to winning ways after two goal-less draws, as they endeavour to retain leadership of County Second.

Athletico’s Sadyha Akhtar goal gave them a 1–0 first-half lead, with Talia Harris-Ramsden also on target in the 2–1 win.

Burley Trojans were back at the rec’ for a key match against Wortley.

The match was tied at 1–1 at half time, after Wortley’s goalie kept them in the game. However it was a well-deserved 3–2 victory after a Bethan Smith brace and another from Heather Fisher. The win sees Troggs amongst the promotion candidates.

Bradford United (Phœnix) welcomed Leeds Hyde Park Seconds to Laisteridge Lane for a County Third game.

Hyde Park were on the attack from the start, with United’s ’keeper busy saving shots. On the quarter-hour mark, Hyde Park went ahead. United’s speedy striker Zahra Batool evened the scores at 1–1, and tried to get the lead but Hyde Park regained the lead just before the break.

The second was similar, with a goal 15 minutes in. After Hyde Park put away a penalty there was no way back, and the visitors scored three more in the remaining minutes that saw Bradford United with a 7–1 loss.

Field took the short journey to Bramley Falls Park to play newly-formed Forge Way for their third meeting this season.

Forge Way have been existence since the start of this calendar year and is the new name for the Farsley Juniors Ladies and Girls’ set-up.

Field dominated the first quarter of the match with a few half-chances, including a long-range strike from stand-in skipper Gee Simpson, which flew just past the post. Meg Howell put the visitors ahead when she volleyed in a Sarah Binns corner. With the majority of play happening in the midfield area, Forge Way had opportunities for attacks of their own. But the Field defence was resolute, Kath Hawley proving to be a wall in defence, mopping up any loose balls and making some strong tackles. Field had the chance to double their lead after some good progressional play from defence up to attack, with a great strike from Jess Vanston going just over the bar. Simpson had another glorious chance, when she dived for a header which went over the bar. On 35 minutes, Forge Way got themselves back in the game, with a ball chipped over the top of Field’s defence, which was lobbed over goalkeeper Emily McKinley. However, Meg Sparkes thumped in with a header to put Field back in front just before the break.

Just after half-time, Anna Mitchell controlled a Jess Vanston pass and shot just past the post. Another Binns corner was headed on by Meg Schofield. There was a goal-mouth scramble, and the ball came back to Mitchell who drilled her shot low and hard into the far corner. They added a fourth in the 69th minute through a long throw from Meg Howell, headed on by Amelia Jackson, and acrobatically finished by Megan Sparkes. Though being more comfortable in possession, the remaining quarter of the match saw Field battle hard to keep Forge Way at bay, as they were sniffing for goal-scoring chances.

This coming weekend sees several key games in the local area. Avenue host second-place Leeds Medics & Dentists at Horsfall, Thackley welcome Silsden to Dennyfield, Athletico entertain Burley at Bradford Academy 3G, and Skipton Devs take on Field at Sandylands.

The West Riding County Cup has reached the semi-final stage, with Halifax FC travelling over to Regional League side Altofts, and Leeds United involved in a local derby at Leeds Modernians.

Tyersal are playing their outstanding League Shield tie, away to Lower Hopton Development, over at the Leeds Road complex in Huddersfield.

 Meanwhile, Avenue have been awarded the result of their unplayed fixture at home to Sherburn White Rose Development, and are through to the next round.

Round 2 ties (selected), to be played on March 3rd: Avenue v. Wortley; Burley v. Boroughbridge; Leeds City v. Skipton Devs and Lower Hopton Devs/Tyersal v. Field.

Halifax’s Northern Premier Division game with West Bromwich Albion was switched to Marley, to ensure it went ahead as planned.

There were early chances for both sides, before Halifax dealt the first blow, the ball ricocheting around the box before finding the inside of Britt Sanderson’s boot, as she directed the ball into the bottom-left corner for the opener. Albion increased their pressure in search of an equaliser, the Eagles’ custodian Becky Flaherty being called on to make several spectacular saves. With 10 minutes left on the clock, Albion found a reward for their attacking efforts. Ashlee Brown broke into the penalty area, teeing up Fran Orthodoxou to finish high into the net to equalise. However there was more late drama, as Lucy Sowerby hit a last-minute winner for Halifax.

The late 2–1 win marked manager Rob Mitchell’s 300th competitive game in charge.

Halifax’s next League game is next Thursday, February 22nd, when they are away to Huddersfield Town at Storthes Hall Student Village.