HAVING defeated Aireborough only a couple of weeks previously in the league tie, last Saturday saw the local rivals returning to Chaffer's Field for the first round of the Yorkshire Vase Cup.

The first ten minutes were fairly even, until the visitors were awarded a penalty during one of their few forays into the home side’s half. Successfully kicked, ‘Aire' took the lead.

Five minutes later the home team were awarded a penalty in the visitors 22. They kicked to touch, and from the resulting line out drove over for a try, by Skipper Sam Featherstone, improved by a superb conversion by Luke Cowdell.

Play became static until a clearance kick by the visitors gifted speedy winger Will Howarth an unconverted try, despite having time to recover from an ankle tap tackle.

Ensians were playing fine open rugby, regardless of the visitors’ excellent defences. The intense pressure told with two further tries before half time by Luke Cowdell, and Ethan Heede. The second converted by Luke Cowdell making the half time score of 24-3.

The second half opened with a fine move by the home team. Heede made ground on the right wing and then the ball crossed along the backs for Cowdell to score a converted try.

Both teams then enjoyed a period of entertaining rugby involving good moves across the backs, ably supported by the forwards. The defences held firm until the 25th minute when Nathan Jones darted over for his maiden Ensian try, duly converted by Cowdell.

With superb open play, and despite good defence, once Jake Bentley joined the action, there were three more tries to come from Ensians. Two by Jake Bentley himself and one by Will Howarth, with Luke Cowdell converting all three to give him a personal tally of 24 points and a final score of 59-3.

To their great credit, Aireborough never gave up, but had the bad luck of meeting a team giving their best display of the season. Both teams played attractive rugby in a game, well refereed and enjoyed by both teams and spectators alike.