Report by: Edward Robertson

GUISELEY’S good form came to a shuddering halt as the Lions fell to a chastening 5-1 defeat at Macclesfield’s Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Andy Welsh was disappointed with how the game unfurled in Cheshire.

“I’m always going to be honest, and we contributed to our own downfall. We went 1-0 up and rightly so because we played some good stuff. But after that we sat back too deep and let them come onto us which you can’t do at a place like this.”

The Silkmen were on the front foot from the off when Luke Duffy weaved his way into the box only for Ollie Battersby to deny him from close range.

The Lions rallied and then broke the deadlock with the game just 17 minutes old. Reece Kendall’s curling cross was met powerfully by the head of Kallan Murphy, who steered the ball into the net to give the visitors a valuable lead.

However, it was the hosts who responded positively to the scoreline. The Silkmen threatened to equalise just five minutes later when Paul Dawson’s long-range effort was deflected narrowly wide of Battersby’s goal.

On the 36th minute Macclesfield’s sustained period of pressure bore fruit. Kane Drummond produced a mazy run down the left flank and then nudged the ball to Lewis Fensome on the edge of the six-yard box. The midfielder slotted home from close range to level the scores.

The equaliser further invigorated the hosts and the Lions slipped behind just before the break. Only five minutes after setting up the equaliser Drummond headed home a corner that clattered the underside of the crossbar and bounced clear, but the ball had edged over the line to give the Silkmen a deserved lead.

Guiseley might have dragged themselves level minutes later. A fine run from Jordi Nsaka saw him burst down the left flank. His cross rebounded to Prince Ekpolo on the edge of the box but his shot was blocked by an onrushing defender.

The home side continued with the same positive approach after the break, however there was more than a touch of luck about the third goal. Leigh Whelan met a near post corner only for the ball to curve round the front post, beat Battersby, and ripple the net after 53 minutes.

Things went from bad to worse for the Lions, and Whelan, when he bundled the tricky Drummond to the floor in the penalty box on 66 minutes, forcing referee Lewis Smith to point to the spot. Alex Curran stepped up to take the penalty, and despite Battersby getting a hand to the ball, it creeped under the keeper and into the net.

The Silkmen were in their groove and weaved their way through the Lion’s once more as substitute Neil Kengni threaded a ball through to Curran after 73 minutes, but his shot was well blocked by Battersby.

The afternoon went from bad to worse for Guiseley just two minutes later. Duffy’s effort was well parried away by Battersby but fell fortunately for former Lion John Rooney. The journeyman midfielder jaunted past his marker and finished coolly to give Macclesfield a fifth.

When the final whistle sounded it marked the end of a tough afternoon for Guiseley who were defeated by a strong Macclesfield side who were able to leave former £13.5m former Everton striker Oumar Niasse unused on the bench.

Despite the difference in resources Welsh was dissatisfied with the manner of the defeat. “If we want this football team and this football club to go where we want us to go, we expect more. At Guiseley, we always expect more.”