OTLEY got their second home bonus point win of the season, lifting them to eighth in the league.

Kicking off towards the Chevin, they regained possession after two Tynedale players crossed in Otley’s half, Eddie Crossland putting the ball into the visitor’s 22. They then kept the opposition penned in their half, early try attempts failing when a pass went into touch on the right and a foot in touch on the left.

A penalty kick got Tynedale into Otley’s half and a couple of phases later Jacob Holmes’s kick for territory was collected by Sam Taylor metres from his line. He then passed the ball to Jacob Holmes who kicked forward, Taylor running on to the ball before passing it back to Holmes on Tynedale’s 10 metre line who ran the distance to score on nine minutes. Gavin Stead added the conversion.

For the next eight minutes the game moved into the Otley half and although the home side sought to stifle Tynedale’s assault, they were gradually pushed back until the visitors were within five. From there they looked for an opening and eventually found it on the right Joe Beaty stretching his arms across the line to score. Josh Leslie’s conversion drew the scores level.

The next section of the game was played between the two 22s, both sides looking for the advantage but were hampered by infringements of varying degrees. Holmes then came close to scoring in the left-hand corner but was tackled into touch. Tynedale cleared to just outside their 22, from where Otley launched another attack which was stoutly defended until

Crossland’s switch pass enabled Clark Wells a clear run to the line on 33 minutes.

Tynedale’s response got close to Otley’s five metre line where they got a scrum some ten metres out, after play resumed, they went left where they were bundled into touch. An overthrown line-out was collected by Micky Rewcastle who was subsequently stopped on Otley’s line, their next phase being held up. The half ended with a forward pass on the half-way line and the score 14-7.

Otley came out reinvigorated in the second half but were made to work hard for their third try, going back from Tynedale’s 22 to their 10-metre line before Sam Taylor went down the right flank cutting in on the 22 to score close to the posts.

Five minutes later they got their bonus point try from a scrum inside their half, Tynedale having knocked on close to the grandstand, Clark taking the ball forward from inside his half before passing to Holmes who got his second, Stead getting his fourth conversion.

That didn’t stop Tynedale and they had most of the territory but couldn’t make it count. When Otley did get out of their half, they got a penalty when Tynedale failed to release Lewis Eaton in the tackle. Stead’s successful kick on 59 minutes from just inside Tynedale’s half increased Otley’s lead to 24 points.

With such a lead and only a quarter of the match to go, home supporters were beginning to think it was a done deal, but Tynedale had other thoughts. Having regained possession on their 22, Tynedale made it to Otley’s 22 where they elected for a scrum after a high tackle. Otley were unable to contain their pack and having conceded four penalties and Tynedale continuing with the scrum option, Otley went down to 14 players.

Otley were able to get close to their 10-metre line but were then caught offside, and with ten minutes to go Tynedale opted for the quick ball. A cross-field kick saw Joe Beaty tackled without the ball and Otley down to 13 with Tynedale being awarded a penalty try. From another scrum, Tynedale on their 10-metre line ran the lines until No 8 Ben Bell crashed over. Tynedale’s final try came with a minute to go after their initial attack in the corner was halted, the visitors then moved infield with Ben Haigh going over. Jake Rodgers’s conversion heralded the final whistle and bought Tynedale’s revival to an end and a 31-26 victory for Otley.