DESPITE running away with a 6-0 victory against the league's bottom side at the weekend, Town spectators will have been frustrated with the number of spurned opportunities throughout the tie.

It's this finishing issue, together with player (un)availability, which really is the story of the season for Otley who have been vying fitfully for the third automatic promotion place rather than less altruistic fourth place route which relies on league rejigging for its success.

Sherburn gave it their best effort, particularly in the first half, but it soon became obvious why they’d conceded an average of almost five goals a game, and only Otley’s wastefulness in front of goal saved them from further pain.

Otley scored after two minutes. Connor Wilson, starting his first game in over two years, scored what would be the goal of the game when he cut in from the left and drilled the ball home superbly on the angle. On 21 minutes Callan Parker-Wells notched Otley’s second with a well struck free kick. That was the end of the scoring in the first half.

However without trying to sound too repetitious, six good chances were spurned either side of the goals.

Otley got their third on 47 minutes when Wilson cheekily back heeled in from close range and shortly after bagged his hat trick when he drove in from the right, went past two defenders, and struck home from a tight angle. On 75 minutes Harry Hawkins finally got on the score sheet when he side footed home from close in and shortly after Wilson bagged his fourth and Town's sixth with a superb header from a Pierce Charlesworth cross.

Man of the match went to Connor Wilson who looks the part again with his fitness returning.

Earlier in the week Town had scrambled a 2-2 draw with Wetherby Athletic having been two goals down at half time. In an improved second half performance Andy Howland notched the equalising goals, the second of which came in the 93rd minutes.

Town host Ilkley Town on Saturday in an important game in the push for promotion.

Wharfedale FA Cup final match report: 

In an absorbing final at Guiseley’s Nethermoor ground Otley Town came out on top by the tiniest of margins against cup favourites Rawdon Old Boys.

Otley were the better side in the first half and deservedly took the lead on 15 minutes when Pete Long rose above everyone to head home at the near post. Prior to this Town had missed a couple of half chances and Callan Parker-Wells had hit the bar. Rawdon slowly came into the game and just before the break grabbed an equaliser through their top goal scorer, the ever- dangerous Craig Nichols. This was a setback for Town as they’d palpably been the better side in the first period.

The second half was more of an arm wrestle though Rawdon were marginally ahead on the possession stats. Goal scoring chances were few and far between - Mark McGee had one for Otley and Wayne Mahomet denied Nichols a second with a brilliant diving save.

And so with no extra time in the competition the game went to penalties and was only settled when Rawdon missed their seventhattempt. Up to that point all penalties had been confidently dispatched. Penalty heroes for Town were Harry Leigh, Greig Hudson, Mitchell Lambert-Tuthill , Callan Parker-Wells, Rick Parry, Mark McGee and Andy Howland.

The Wharfedale FA’s selection for man of the match went to Rawdon’s Sam Boldy though Otley’s Parker-Wells and Jonathan Jackson must have run him mighty close.