GUISELEY remain entrenched at the bottom of the National League North after two further defeats, losing 2-0 at Chorley last Saturday and then failing to find the net yet again in a 1-0 defeat at neighbours Farsley Celtic on Tuesday.

In both games they had plenty of opportunities to score but they lacked a quality finish. These are now desperate times as Guiseley seek to climb away from the one relegation spot.

Even the introduction of English Schools U-18s star Josh Stones in the 77th minute at Farsley could not produce the elusive goal.

Fresh from his hat-trick in the 4-0 win over Scotland last Friday the youngster could maybe have done with more minutes but he does have another international game on Friday against the Republic of Ireland, after netting nine goals in six games in an England shirt.

However, Guiseley cannot just rely on a youngster to solve their problems in front of goal. As a team they quickly need to find some confidence and some form.

Relegation would be a disaster for the club, not just from a playing point of view but also for their Community Foundation who rely heavily on the National League for funding the vast amount of work that they do in the local community.

It is not that Guiseley are not creating chances, they are and it is hoped that they can find their shooting boots in the final run in.

They netted three goals against Blyth and Alfreton in the not too distant past but all too often they have lost 1-0 like they did at Farsley on Tuesday when they succumbed to a goal scored in the opening 60 seconds of the game by their former player Frank Mulhern.

Guiseley went on to have their fair share of the game with chances falling predominantly to James Gale, Kaine Felix, John Johnston, Lebrun Mbeka, Prince Ekpolo and Andy Kellett.

Guiseley: Owen Mason, George Cantrill Thierry Latty-Fairweather, Prince Ekpolo (Lewis Hey 77), Hamza Bencherif, Lebrun Mbeka, Kaine Felix, Regan Hutchinson (Josh Stones 77), James Gale, John Johnston, Andy Kellett. Subs not used: Dom Tear, Ollie Brown, Adam Haw.

Guiseley had given a better performance at Chorley after two lack lustre performances but again it was that lack of a clinical finisher that saw them return home without any points.

Guiseley made two changes as Ollie Brown and Lewis Hey returned to the starting eleven and youngster Ellis Farrar was named on the bench.

Both sides had the ball in the net in the first five minutes but both efforts were ruled out for infringements.

The Lions were going toe-to-toe with their higher placed opponents and forced a series of corners early on that came to nothing. Magpies' 'keeper Matt Urwin almost presented the Lions with an opener when he fluffed his lines but as the ball fell to John Johnston but he was unable to get it out from under his feet.

Kaine Felix was then next to test Urwin as he outpaced Baines only to see his shot saved but all of that was undone three minutes before half-time when Chorley were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out. Guiseley failed to line up the defensive wall, leaving a gap that Adam Blakeman exploited to the full with a low shot in to the bottom corner.

Andy Kellett replaced Lewis Hey on the re-start and gradually his influence on the game began to grow. Guiseley’s best chance so far came on 56 minutes when a sweeping move saw Thierry Latty-Fairweather picked out by Johnston 12 yards out but the loanee was caught in two minds and the home defence was quick to smother his effort.

Regan Hutchinson had the ball whipped off his toes by former Lion Andy Halls as he closed in on Ollie Brown’s cross and then Halls forced Owen Mason into a superb save.

The Guiseley management then made a telling substitution as Brown went off and Gale came on and the effect was almost immediate as the striker took on the home defence only to be twice crowded out.

Chorley then delivered a killer as Will Tomlinson hit a sweet shot past Mason to put the home side two up on 65 minutes. Six minutes later Urwin’s fingertips denied Gale and Prince Ekpolo was unable to get any power on the follow up. With five minutes remaining Gale again tested Urwin.

Guiseley: Owen Mason; George Cantrill, Ollie Brown, (Gale 62), Prince Ekpolo, Hamza Bencherif (C), Lebrun Mbeka, Kaine Felix (Haw 81), Regan Hutchinson, Lewis Hey (Kellett 45), John Johnston, Thierry Latty-Fairweather.

Subs not used: Dom Tear, Ellis Farrar.

On Saturday Guiseley travel to Gloucester City for a 3pm kick-off when it is hoped that Lady Luck will at last shine on them.