AWAY at East End Park is never an easy game, but since Otley were severely tested by them at home earlier in the season, EEP have lost several players and, on the back of this and a top performance the previous week, Otley were optimistic about securing the three points.

At kick off the wind was blowing straight down the pitch and the home side decided to take early advantage, bombarding Otley with high balls aimed for two imposing strikers.

This barrage went on for almost twenty minutes but, by and large, Rick Parry and Ben Driffield were up to the task defending stoutly and protecting Wayne Mahomet in the Otley goal.

Otley’s undoing on twenty minutes was of their own making.

On an uneven surface and with a driving wind, playing out from the back is high risk. Otley persisted in this tactic and got caught. EEP’s lively striker Jack Clarke closed down Mahomet who was trying to control another back pass and as the two collided the ball fell to Clarke who rolled home.

The setback acted as a wake up call for Otley with Callan Parker-Wells, Pete Long and Mitch Lambert-Tuthill eventually getting a grip on things in midfield.

Otley looked certain to score when Parker-Wells broke forward only to be cynically hacked down as he bore down on goal.

The ‘letter of the law’ yellow card hardly seemed appropriate punishment. At the other end Mahomet made amends for his earlier problem by saving superbly with his legs. Half time came with the score still at 1-0.

With the wind at their back the second half began well for Otley with Mark McGee setting up a half chance for new signing Wade. Otley were now camped in the home side half pushing forward at every possibility.

Driffield having a fine game at his favoured centre back position advanced powerfully, played a lovely give and go, only to see his shot fly just over.

Otley’s persistence finally paid off after sixty minutes when Parker-Wells converted a Harry Hawkins corner with a powerful header. This was the moment for Otley to push on for the winner but, try as they may, they just couldn’t turn their pressure into clear cut chances and goals.

The nearest they came was when Harry Leigh’s fine run ended with a shot that smacked against the post with the home keeper beaten.

This was a game that definitely got away for Otley Town as they were palpably the better side but if you don’t convert your chances, 1-1 FT.

There were several contenders for Man of the Match - Driffield immaculate at the back, Lambert-Tuthill who battled away throughout.

But overall for his energy, link-up play and a great goal, the award went to Callan Parker-Wells.

Town travel to Salts looking to get three points on Saturday. The Reserves are home in the Cup 1/4 Finals and the Thirds are at home in their Cup Semi Final.

Otley Town will face West Yorkshire Premier Division side, Rawdon Old Boys, in the Final of the Wharfedale & District FA Challenge Cup on Sunday 10 April at Guiseley's Nethermoor Park with a 3pm kick off.

Overall, a positive display from Otley but missed chances cost the visitors the three points.