GUISELEY and AFC Telford United both demonstrated why they are down amongst the dead men in Tuesday's crucial relegation six pointer at Nethermoor.

Both sides could only manage one meaningful shot on goal in the ninety four minutes of play,

Prince Ekpolo returned to the starting line-up after his four match suspension and the home side were given the perfect opportunity to take an early lead when they were awarded a penalty after just ten minutes.

New signing John Johnston stepped up to take the spot kick but his effort was easily saved by Luke Pilling and the opportunity was gone.

After that both sides struggled to gain any momentum with passes going astray or given back to the opposition, and neither goalkeeper was seriously threatened throughout the remaining 84 minutes.

The upshot of the failure to secure three points against Telford is that Farsley did what Guiseley failed to do on Saturday, and beat Lemington 1-0 at the Citadel, as a result of which the Lions now sit bottom of the table, albeit with a game in hand on Farsley and three games in hand on Telford.

Which may all be well and good but unless the management can find the consistency that has eluded the team so far this season in the eleven games that remain, things are not looking good.

There was also a fracas in the tunnel as the teams left the field after the game and goalkeeper Owen Mason was shown a red card by the referee which just compounds a forgettable night for the Lions.

Saturday's trip to Leamington saw Guiseley once again lose by the odd goal but with neighbour's Farsley Celtic gaining a rare win Guiseley plunged to just one point off the bottom side.

In a game of few chances, played in front of just 405 spectators at the New Windmill Ground, Devon Kelly-Evans took advantage of one of them to give the hosts the lead in the second-half against a Guiseley side missing Kaine Felix, who only returned to action on the previous Tuesday night after almost six months on the sidelines due to injury.

The afternoon was made difficult by the conditions but Guiseley had a good first-half, but struggled to get going after the break and despite changes from the bench a goal was not forthcoming.

The Brakes started the game with a couple of dangerous deliveries into the box but skipper Hamza Bencherif and his defence coped well with the threat. Then came a period of domination by Guiseley but despite going close, with two dangerous corners from Andy Kellett, they couldn’t find the net.

Newcomer John Johnston caused problems and he delivered a dangerous ball into the box which took a heavy deflection but Leamington 'keeper Callum Hawkins managed to gather the ball.

George Cantrill almost opened the scoring with a clearance from his own half which was caught by the wind and bounced just over Hawkins and over the bar with the 'keeper at full stretch. Leamington were struggling to get out and Hawkins again was forced into a good save to deny Dom Tear who turned well in the box to create the opening.

The Lions went close again from a free-kick which was half cleared to Regan Hutchinson but his header went over the bar. The half petered out after a frantic start with Leamington creating a couple of half chances but nothing more than that.

After an exciting first-half the second never really got going with both sides struggling to get a foothold in the game. Guiseley's Jason Sraha and Lebrun Mbeka clashed heads but both were alright to carry on.

It took 15 minutes for the first real chance to be created, a long throw in falling at the feet of Kelly-Evans who made no mistake from eight yards out beating Owen Mason with a powerful drive.

The Lions provided an immediate reaction with Johnston’s mazy run but his cross was stopped by Hawkins. Both 'keepers had a quiet second-half with The Lions’ best chance falling to young substitute Josh Stones. He was played through one-on-one with Hawkins but he shot wide of the mark.

The final action was provided by the hosts in added time but Mason made an excellent double save to deny Kelly-Evans from getting his second goal of the game.

Guiseley return to action on Saturday whent they host Chester FC (3:00 pm).