THIS was a below-par performance from The Lions, one that lacked fight and pride in the shirt and consequently it ended in a 5-0 drubbing by a Brackley side battling at the top end of the table.

Guiseley supporters were very disappointed by the performance, the only highlights being the introduction from the bench 70 minutes in of Kaine Felix, who has been out injured for most of the season, and English Schools U-18s captain Josh Stones, a shining light in what has been a substandard season for Guiseley.

On a cold winter's night a crowd of just over 400 saw Guiseley offer very little to threaten Brackley.

They would have been the only ones in a white shirt to draw even a passing glance from Burnley manager Sean Dyche, who was sat in the stand watching his son Max play for Brackley.

Guiseley fans were looking for a good reaction after the 3-0 defeat at York last time out. The changes saw defenders Ollie Brown and Andy Hollins on the bench despite having impressed over the last couple of months. Skipper Hamza Bencherif, Andy Kellett and Regan Hutchinson all started but it made little difference.

Brackley were soon in action forcing a second minute corner from which a free header was superbly saved by Owen Mason. Guiseley failed to heed the warning and a second corner a minute later was headed home unchallenged by Jordan Cullinane-Liburd.

Eight minutes later Mason climbed to punch a cross away from the head of Jaanai Gordon. The Brackley player went to ground, the referee deemed the challenge a foul and James Armson doubled the visitors lead from the penalty spot.

Guiseley were unable to build any momentum and struggled to put any meaningful moves together. They constantly gave possession away and frequently lost out to a physically stronger Town with some ineffectual or non-existent challenges.

Their lack lustre efforts were highlighted when a long throw in from the left evaded everyone in the Guiseley penalty are and inexplicably finished up in the back of the net.

Brackley made it 4-0 after just 21 minutes when one stray pass too many gifted Matt Lowe an easy chance which he took.

Lions fans were given some hope as a double change saw recent signing James Gale and Andy Kellett make way for Stones and Felix and the effect was almost immediate. Stones forced defenders into conceding two throw-ins and a superb clearance from Mason set Felix off down the right hand channel but his shot across Danny Lewis was just wide of the far post.

Dom Tear put a couple of efforts just wide of the mark and Stones forced Lewis to his knees as the Lions at last offered some resistance.

However, all of this was undone on 82 minutes when they conceded another penalty, allowing Lowe to complete his hat-trick and compound a miserable night for a Guiseley side that looked disorganised, lacking in leadership and with no spirit.

The consensus of fans' opinions seemed to be that constant changes to the starting line-ups and a whole host of loan signings have done nothing to help forge a settled side.

Guiseley have netted just 23 points from a possible 81 and the only saving grace is that only one side will be relegated from the National League North this season.

Guiseley have two or three games in hand on their rivals in the relegation scrap but further performances like this at Nethermoor and it's expected new 4G pitch will be hosting lower level football next season.

Guiseley: Owen Mason, George Cantrill, Thierry Latty-Fairweather, 4. Jason Sraha, 5. Hamza Bencherif (C), 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7on Tear, 8. Scott McLean, 9. James Gale(70′ Stone

On Saturday Guiseley entertain Boston (3pm) and then on Tuesday play host to Blyth Spartans in a re-arranged game (7.45pm).

Guiseley will be hoping to bounce back from a defeat which won't have done well for their confidence in a bid to stay up.