ALTHOUGH there was no snow at Kirkby Lonsdale, Otley struggled to get through the snow in Yorkshire and get to Raygarth and so the kick-off was delayed until 3:00 pm.

The delay didn’t effect Otley’s performance, an early penalty gave them possession metres from the Kirkby line. From the line-out, Otley drove forward with Luke Cole touching down after just three minutes.

On ten minutes, Ben Gould and Gavin Stead linked up to see Elliot Morgan go down the left hand flank to score and Callum Irvine convert. As the first quarter ended Brett Mitchell was the next to score after a couple of pick and goes close to the Cumbrian line. He also took the restart, passing to Cole who came close to scoring but Kirkby were able to get the ball and clear their lines. That just brought another Otley attack, with Morgan going over in the left hand corner.

Stead was involved in the fifth try, setting up Finn Dewar to dive over under the posts which saw Irvine get his third conversion.

Play settled down for a while until Kirkby knocked on in their 22 enabling Otley to launch another attack, Eddie Crossland’s long pass to Dewar on the right saw him score in the corner with 3 minutes to half time.

Cole and Irvine combined to set up another onslaught, but Adam Malthouse was held up over the line and this brought the half-time whistle.

The one-way traffic of the first half simply changed direction, Kirkby Lonsdale then having to change two of their front row because of injuries. Otley were getting penalties but electing for scrums, the pressure finally telling Adam Malthouse crashed over for his 20th try for the club on 51 minutes.

Alex Beaumont’s and Dewar’s runs brought about multiple phases in different directions as Kirkby tried to keep the visitors out, but Dewar was able to get around them on the right to score in the corner. Morgan scored eight minutes later to take Otley’s score to over 50.

Otley were penalised at the restart and, after a tap and go the home side got close to the visitor’s line but they knocked-on. Otley again regained possession in their half, Will Burns’s initial run saw Irvine canter in from 30 metres out which he also converted.

With three minutes to go Beaumont’s run set up Morgan for his fourth, Crossland’s conversion attempt hitting the upright.

However, there was still time for Beaumont to go over and this time Crossland’s kick found its mark to make the score 0-72.

Next week Otley will face stiffer opposition next week when they go to second placed Preston Grasshoppers.

Although Otley have a seven point lead in the league, they will be still be looking for another win to lay the foundations to finish the season at the top.

As we are now returning to some sort of normality, Otley RUFC want to thank all of those who supported them during the pandemic by contributing to their successful Crowdfunding campaign of 2020. If you were one of those that contributed, the club would like to invite you to join them for an afternoon of food, good company, and international rugby.

On Saturday 19th March, the clubhouse will be open from 2pm for all three of the final Six Nations matches and courtesy of the club, they will be serving hot food after the first game Wales v Italy (2.15pm), before Ireland v Scotland (4.45pm) and France v England (8pm). To register your interest, email: