The Lions have had a mixed bag of a week so far after a narrow defeat at the weekend, followed up by a great cup win on Tuesday night.

On Saturday Guiseley travelled to league leaders Brackley Town and went down to a narrow 1-0 defeat in the driving rain.

An early Matt Lowe goal was the decider in a game which offered few chances for either side.

Prince Ekpolo went close with a good effort in the second half before there were late changes to try to get back into the game, including the return of Andy Kellett from injury.

But the home side stood firm to seal the points.

However, Tuesday night was a different matter in the West Riding County Cup.

Guiseley went in to the game with a strong line-up against their Tadcaster Albion rivals from the Northern Premier League (East).

And the away side could not have got off to a better start when Jacob Gratton poked home following a defensive mistake with only two minutes on the clock.

Kellett – starting the game this time after injury – was pulling the strings in midfield before Guiseley lost concentration and let Albion equalise with 10 minutes on the clock.

Josh Stones went close, as did Adam Haw and Gratton, but the home keeper was equal to the challenge.

Chances went begging, including a Gratton effort against the woodwork, before the teams went in level at 1-1.

Jamie Spencer came on for Kellett and within three minutes Gratton had bagged his second of the game with a good header at the back stick.

Eleven minutes later and it was all over as a through ball to Haw saw him fire it into the top of the net past the despairing dive of the keeper.

Gratton was sniffing his hat-trick and went close but it was Haw who rounded off the scoring as he slid home Ollie Metcalfe’s cross with 20 minutes left to seal a sport in the last eight against Albion Sports on a date to be arranged.

Before both matches, the Lions drafted in goalkeeper Owen Mason on loan from League Two Mansfield Town.

The 17-year-old keeper, who made his debut at Brackley, will stay until January 9.

He is in his second year with The Stags’ u18s side and has also played for Notts County, Eastwood CFC and Nottingham City Boys as well as representing Ireland at u18 level.