OTLEY Town won their game at Swillington Saints in Division One of the West Yorkshire Association Football League, after going 3-0 up against a somewhat disorganised home side in the first 20 minutes.

But a goal back right on half-time and another two minutes after the break buoyed Swillington and made for a nervy last 40 minutes for Otley.

But pleasingly for them, they dug deep, showed great character and managed to see out the game to collect the vital three points, making it eight wins from their opening 13 league games.

In the very first minute, Otley scored when right-back Tristan Holdsworth went on a superb mazy run, beating one player after another only to be felled in the six-yard box.

Greig Hudson confidently scored from the spot and Otley were on their way.

Next up, Richard Marshall tried his luck with a powerful shot from 30 yards which skimmed the bar.

But then Callan Wells showed him how to do it with his own 30-yarder, which flew past the stranded home keeper.

Otley were all over Swillington at this stage, but the hosts showed a glimpse of what they were capable of with a dangerous break, which required a quality point blank save from Joseph Mash.

Otley countered this by scoring again - Wells’ clever movement was picked up by Peter Long and the latter's superb lobbed ball was complemented by a left foot volley from the former that was for too strong for the home keeper.

Otley had further good chances but fluffed their lines when it counted and then on the stroke of half-time, they were stung.

From nowhere, Swillington pulled a goal back when the visitors failed to clear their lines.

The next goal was always going to be important, and after Otley had dithered on the ball right from the restart, it went to Swillington.

Now it was a different game, with the home side in the ascendancy as they saw their chance to capitalise on the visitors' slow start.

Fortunately for Otley, Swillington's enthusiasm started to get the better of them as they began to overstep the mark, and one of their players was eventually sin-binned.

Otley were under constant pressure but defended well, albeit sometimes a little desperately.

On the break, Marshall and Bobby Neesam failed to score with the goal at their mercy and then late substitute Andy Howland brought out a magnificent save from the home keeper from just five yards out.

That was the last big chance of the game, as Otley held on for the win.

Holdsworth was immaculate throughout for Otley and his great run in the opening minute got the ball rolling, but for his two superbly taken first half goals the man of the match award went to Wells.

Next up, Town travel to Pool in the Wharfedale and District FA Challenge Cup and the fourths host Sutton in Division Three of the Craven League before the Christmas break.