OTLEY Town's players gave their best in this game with league leaders Silsden but ultimately came up short against a very accomplished team.

Retrospectively, 5-2 seemed to be a little bit flattering for the visitors but when one considers they played all but one of the ninety minutes with ten men the argument falls down.

The game got off to an explosive start with a Silsden defender being red carded for a professional foul in the very first minute. This was a brave but correct decision by the referee particularly so early in the game. Whatever nothing came of the free kick for Otley and neither did the numerical advantage as they struggled to come to terms with Silsden's reorganisation.

Midway through the half Silsden took the lead in controversial circumstances. An innocuous cross from the left saw a minor coming together of home centre half Greig Hudson and a Silsden forward with both players missing the ball which went dead. To everyone’s surprise, the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

1-0 Silsden and probably about right on the balance of play but for Otley a most disappointing way of conceding. Half time and no further scoring but Silsden's fleet footed forward line had already served notice of their attacking potential.

Town manager Richard Suddes had noted the danger signals and made three changes at half time bringing on Harry Hawkins, Jack Richmond and Peter Long. Not that the aforementioned players had anything to do with the superbly struck 25 yard leveller by Callan Parker Wells in the 46th minute.

As the saying goes ‘you’re at your most vulnerable immediately after scoring’ and within ten minutes of Towns equaliser they were pegged back to 3-1. Silsden's winger Luke Brooksbank scoring both goals and generally causing mayhem whenever he got the ball.

It looked like curtains for Town but once again they dug deep and deservedly pulled a goal back when Mark McGee shovelled the ball home following a goal mouth scramble. Town were now back in it and couple of half chances went begging and then a good chance when Bobby Neesam miscued a header.

In the meantime the clever Silsden forward line took full advantage of Otley’s pushing players forward looking for an equaliser, clinically taking two more chances on the break to finally roll over the home side. And to sum up that was the main difference between the sides - whenever a Silsden forward got sight of goal they never seemed to miss.

Next week, Town travel down the road to Pool, Reserves host Hall Green United, Thirds travel to Crosshills and Fourths host Rolls Royce. All games kick off at 2pm.