HAVING appointed Darren Goodwood from Skipton as head coach earlier in the week, Old Otliensians travelled to Ossett with a renewed optimism for the remainder of the season.

Will Cooper returned to captain the team and there was a full bench for the first time this season.

Prior to the kick-off both sides and the crowd respectfully observed a two-minute silence for armistice day. From the outset it was evident both sides wanted to run with the ball, the visitors suffered an early setback conceding a try to trail by 5-0.

This early score galvanised the visitors, and they started to exert pressure on the Ossett defence. Otliensians were

awarded a string of penalties but could not breach the home line.

On the quarter hour mark Ossett kicked deep into the visitor’s territory, the ball was gathered by Matthew Peattie, who made good ground before chipping the ball into space.

Hooker, Paddy Phipps hacked the ball in to the home 22 and gathered 5 metres from the line to score

an excellent try.

With the scores level the Otliensians team was growing in confidence. The forward pack with

Phil Rhodes, Kieran Walker and the Gilson brothers to the fore were driving hard into the home defence and tackling resolutely when Ossett had possession.

In the backs, Jake Bentley, Harry Bentley and Will Cooper were organising a young back division in both attack

and defence.

After half an hour, Ossett were awarded a contentious line-out from a 50-20 kick. The line-out was won and the home pack drove over to re-take the lead 10-5.

Otliensians refused to lie down, and spent the next 10 minutes camped in the Ossett half. The home side continued to

leak penalties and eventually received a yellow card on the stroke of half-time.

Cooper slotted the penalty to leave the game finally balanced at 10-8.

The second half started very much like the first with the home side scoring an early try and extending their lead to 17-8. A similar pattern emerged with Otliensians applying the pressure on the home defence but unable to breach the line.

Ossett then broke out of their own 22 to score a bonus point try, a further try quickly followed leaving the score 29-8.

The visitors kept their heads up and continued to attack at every opportunity.

This culminated in a fantastic flowing move between forwards and backs and resulted in the try of the match.

The ball was moved along the backs and then when the defence was stretched was quickly recycled and moved in the opposite direction.

Matthew Peattie joined the line from full-back and then drew two defenders towards him, despite being tackled he managed to slip the ball

out of the back of his hand to winger Jamie Kenworthy who crashed over in the corner. A

superb touch-line conversion from Cooper reduced the arrears to 29-15.

Ossett managed a try with the final action of the game to leave the final score 36-15. The

score-line did not accurately reflect the game and the Otliensian players can be very proud of

their performance. The forwards were outstanding, and the young back division, in particular,

Harry and Jake Bentley, Will Cooper and Matthew Peattie made good ground whenever they

had the ball. The new head coach was enthused by the performance and remarked he had

plenty of optimism for the forthcoming games.

Next Saturday, Otliensians entertain Castleford at Chaffers’ Field. Members and supporters

are encouraged to get down and support the team.