IN atrocious weather conditions and accompanied by a poor pitch, Otley Town produced their best performance for weeks in overcoming Howden Clough in the County Cup.

Although Howden Clough ply their trade in the league below Otley, they are unbeaten at home this season and have taken some notable scalps, so this was potentially a tricky game for the visitors.

As usual, Town had to make some last minute changes with Pete Long and Liam Dixon dropping out of the squad through injury but on the plus side, Callan Parker Wells made a welcome first full appearance and the dependable Wayne Mahomet stood in for keeper Brodowski.

Otley started on the front foot, snapping into tackles and pressing the home side into mistakes. Five minutes in - Harry Hawkins sensing some disarray in the home defence stole in behind them, rounded the keeper and expertly pulled the ball back for Wells to score.

Five minutes later, Town broke again from midfield and when Wells played in Joe Flaherty advancing in the inside right position it was a mere formality for the midfielder to roll the ball into the far corner.

Town continued to dominate proceedings and the attitude shown by Otley’s forward players in chasing down the Howden Clough defence became infectious and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Unfortunately for Otley, there were a number of good chances missed plus the home keeper was in inspired form and by luck or good judgement managed to keep the ball out of his net and the score down to just two by half time.

Town knew that the next goal could be all important and that the same non-stop attitude would be needed to confirm passage to the next round.

Howden Clough with the wind and rain behind them did manage to pull a goal back on 65 minutes - via a mad scramble in the Otley ten yard box.

Know one to blame here, just one of those things in the conditions and a bit of luck for the home side.

Town did respond well but try as the may, could not get the potentially conclusive third goal. The next period was actually all about the home keeper.

He was a one man resistance effort, executing marvellous saves from Hawkins, Wells, Neesam and Flaherty and but for this guy Town would have scored double maybe triple the goals they did. Whatever, Otley confidently saw the game out and a win is a win with this much appreciated return to form.

Most of the team played well in difficult conditions. The back three of Rick Parry, Jonathan Jackson and Wayne Mahomet were rock solid players but for his attitude and non stop action display MOM went to Bobby Neesam.

Town return to league action next week with a visit to Steeton.

The Reserves host Leeds Modernians, the Thirds host Barnoldswick Barons and the Fourths travel to Bingley Town. All games are scheduled to kick off at 2:00 PM.