DESPITE the continued absence of several first team regulars this was a game Otley should have won, but three simple defensive errors gifted the points to Brighouse and ended Otley’s five game winning streak.

For the first 25 minutes of the game Otley were in complete control with all players contributing to the cause. It was no surprise therefore when they took the lead with a goal of great quality. Jack Richmond started it with a burst from midfield and a perfect pass to Andy Howland hugging the left touch line.

Howland looked up and his pin point cross found Harry Hawkins in the box. Hawkins needed only two touches and the ball was in the back of the net.

Otley should have built on this lead as, at this point, they were by far the superior side. However, one chance for Richard Marshall aside, they gradually began to lose the momentum and when a poorly struck back pass to the keeper was intercepted by the Brighouse centre forward it was all square.

This was all the encouragement the home team needed and they then took their turn to dominate proceedings up to the break.

Otley needed to regroup but instead they conceded again within 2 minutes of the restart. An innocuous looking punt from the home sides left back was somehow misread by the Otley central defence leaving an open goal for the Brighouse winger. With Brighouse now on top it looked a long road back for Otley but they managed to pull themselves together and created more chances.

Hawkins had one but was eventually crowded out and then Joe Flaherty was just wide with a shot from the edge of the box. Otley’s pressure finally told when Howland got the goal his performance deserved when he turned in from close range with the assist coming from Richmond. At 2-2 it was game on.

Tristan Holdsworth had a good chance but his volley was too high and at the other end Damo Brodowski made a fine diving save to keep Otley in it.

Into the last ten minutes and Otley were beginning to concede two many set pieces and when Greig Hudson needlessly gave away a free kick on the edge of the Otley box Brighouse took full advantage. This goal was the third of the avoidable goals Otley were to concede. From the defensive wall a Brighouse player broke to the left and no Otley player reacted. He was given the ball in free space and calmly scored without a finger being laid on him.

Otley had a couple of chances late on but could not find the equaliser. Final score 3-2. Man of the match for Otley - Andy Howland.

Town will hope to welcome some players back next weekend as we host Rothwell Juniors in WYAFL League Cup, Reserves go to Oxenhope Recreation in WYAFL League Trophy, Thirds go to Skipton Town in Craven Division 2 and Fourths host Settle United in Craven Division 3.