"PEOPLE say it was harsh after three years to be gone five matches into the season, but that's football."

These are the words of former Guiseley number two Danny Boshell on him and Mark Bower being sacked at the start of the 2016/17 season.

The pair had a brilliant run at Nethermoor. Firstly, gaining promotion to the National League, before maintaining the Lions' place in the top division of non-league.

As a player, Boshell made over 200 appearances in the professional game for the likes of Oldham Athletic, Stockport County and Grimsby Town, before landing in Leeds where he had three successful years reaching the playoffs on each occasion.

However, it all ended sour as Boshell and brother Nicky were both placed on the transfer list by manager Steve Kittrick.

Danny explained: "I was there 12 months before Steve Kittrick brought Nick in and it was fine for the first season. Then we had a difference of opinion and didn’t see eye to eye. I ended up leaving and going to Altrincham."

A return to Guiseley would soon aspire in a playing assistant capacity thanks to an old friend.

Speaking on his relationship with Bower, Boshell said: “We have known each other since we were five years old.

“We went to all the same schools together. Mark was the year above me in school. I used to play in all his teams and we lived close by.

“Our paths in our professional career took us in different directions and then we ended up at Guiseley with each other."

The two took to their first managerial roles like ducks to water, reaching the National League North playoffs on their first attempt. However, heartbreak soon followed.

Boshell said: "When I joined back at Guiseley we were second or third bottom. We went on a few good runs to get in the playoffs on the last day.

"To get to the final and lose in extra time. We were obviously devastated. I couldn’t play because it was part of the deal with Altrincham. I was gutted not to play on a personal level. How we didn’t go up, I don't know"

However, the duo used the disappointment as a tool of inspiration by getting it right the year after.

He added: "The season after we got in the playoffs to play Fylde who we wanted. Although, they finished second, we already beat them twice that year.

"Everybody knows about the Chorley game arriving at the ground at half past two. The M62 was shut and they wouldn’t let us delay the kickoff. We went 2-0 down and the rest is history."

Finally, the Lions were in the National League, but they would have to battle against the odds once again.

"It was massive to stay up," Boshell recalls. "In the last game against Torquay we had to wait for the Halifax result to come in so that felt as good as promotion.

"Guiseley were a part-time team and three quarters of that league is full-time so that was a big achievement."

Seven years since re-uniting at Guiseley, Bower and Bosh are still on the non-league circuit with Bradford (Park Avenue), hoping to repeat their promotion success.