Pool 2

Kirk Deighton Rangers 2

POOL put in another fine performance at home against second placed Kirk Deighton, but were left ruing missed chances.

Pool were slow to get into their stride, going behind when one of many, route one long balls with the wind tested the usually reliable James Carroll, who missed his chance to clear as the ball bounced awkwardly.

The Kirk Deighton striker was through on goal, but still with some work to do he took his chance well.

Pool thought they had a penalty when a Kirk Deighton defender made a save with his hands on the line that any keeper would have been proud of. To the amazement of both teams, the ball was deemed to have hit his chest.

Pool continued to play some good football, gaining a deserved equaliser from a low powerful shot by Harvey Atkinson.

A fine save low to his right by Pool keeper Andy Doey thwarted the visitors' attempt to take a lead into the interval, with honours even at this stage.

Pool always looked more likely to score in the second half, missing several opportunities before a free-kick by Josh Wagstaff could only be parried by the Kirk Deighton keeper. However, substitute Jack Farrimond alert enough to pounce on the rebound and fire home from close range.

There followed a period where Pool lost their shape and were hurried on the ball, lacking the composure which they had shown up to that point.

This gave the visitors several attacks and set pieces before a corner dropped just under the crossbar and into the net for an equaliser.

Pool responded well, regaining control of the match with several good moves giving them chances to gain the victory which they deserved, but they could not get the vital touch, and had to be content with a point.

The result leaves Pool 10th in Division One of the West Yorkshire League.

Pool entertain neighbours Otley Town in the Wharfedale Challenge Cup semi-final this Saturday. Kick-off is at 2pm.

Pool Reserves went down to a heavy 5-0 defeat at Altofts Reserves last Saturday.