OLD Otliensians beat Halifax Vandals 27-7 over two competitions in their clash at Chaffers Field.

Due to the tightly packed calendar, there was no time to play both the league and the Yorkshire trophy fixtures, so both teams decided to make Saturdays game count for both.

Ensians began by forcing a penalty for not releasing in the tackle, inside centre, Luke Cowdell gained the three points from a successful kick.

Minutes later, captain Sam Featherstone took a quick line out, catching Halifax unawares, after touching several pairs of hands the ball ended up with Cowdell twenty metres out, who blasted through to score a lovely try left of the posts.

It must be mentioned Halifax’s forwards were very strong and well organised managing to make several drives up the centre of the field.

However, shortly after the restart, Will Cooper made a super break up the right wing, supported by winger Joe Tindle.

Nick Hesketh finished off the attack, sliding in at the corner to put the hosts firmly in control.

Again the strong winds frustrated Cowdell’s conversion attempt; the ball striking the right post.

It wasn’t until half way through the first half that the Vandals made any notable in roads into the home side's half.

After several drives forward the visitors did get over to score, despite excellent defence from Michael Groves and Cooper. A successful conversion closed the gap to five points.

With a deep restart, play was back inside Vandals’ 22, a break through from stand off Eaves and a classic off load in the tackle, to Cowdell, saw ‘fresh legged’ substitute prop, Rob Lyons in support, to accept a quick pass to score just left of the posts.

A much easier conversion this time from Cowdell, increased his side's lead to 13 points.

During the second period the wind decided to look favourably on the home side and dissipate, giving them a slight advantage.

The game ebbed and flowed for the next 20 minutes with Halifax’s strong forwards staying competitive.

Otliensians found themselves in a good attacking position deep into the second half following a scrum on the halfway line.

Halifax's scrambling defence were penalised for a high tackle.

The referee sensibly playing the penalty advantage, gave Ensians time to ship the ball to Josh Dyson who almost made it over the line.

The ball quickly recycled to lock, Ali Campbell, again held back.

The Vandals defended valiantly but on the third phase the ball found its way to Cowdell who ‘danced’ over the line, just to the left of the posts.

A simple conversion gave the inside centre another seven points to his tally.

Halifax, certainly didn’t ‘roll over’ at this point and continued to attack the home try line. Excellent tackling from new comer Ryan Mcllorum and veteran Rob Arbuckle kept the score unchanged until full time.

A well deserved win for the home side, looking in control from the onset as they remain fourth behind Knottingley.