ILKLEY Town edged a tough encounter 1-0 at Whitkirk Wanders to keep their place in the top two of the West Yorkshire Premier Division.

A first half strike from Ben Greenhow proved the difference between the two sides.

Whitkirk started the better as they pressed aggressively, going direct at every opportunity to their two strong centre forwards who were extremely competent in the air and winning numerous flick ons for midfield runners.

Having survived the opening exchanges and adapted, Town now started to ask a few questions.

Ilkley lead on the 20th minute when the hosts goalkeeper was put under pressure and his kick landed straight at the feet of Greenhow, who rolled the ball into the empty net.

Whitkirk responded with a great delivery from the left hand side finding their number ten.

His subsequent shot hit the post and the danger was eventually cleared.

The home side pressure continued and it must be said they were unfortunate not to find an equaliser.

As such, it was Ilkley that would spurn a golden opportunity to increase their lead as Alfie Heaton found space on the right hand side.

His low delivery found the goalscorer free at the back post but his effort went past the post.

At half time, Town changed tactically and within 10 minutes of the restart, they brought Adam Davey on to give them more aerial ability.

This seemed to counter the Wanderers direct ball with the second half uneventful for both sides.

Whitkirk had the best of the opportunities as a corner was flicked wide of the front post but the second-placed team were able to hold out for a satisfying three points.

Manager Simon Armstrong added his final assessment from the game, saying: "Whitkirk is a difficult place to come.

"They were physical and direct, in all fairness it brought success and caused us a lot of problems especially in the first half.

"We managed to get our noses in front which was crucial, but I'd be doing Whitkirk a disservice if I didn't say they were unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet.

"The second half we changed personnel and adjusted a little tactically.

"The players showed great character and resilience to dig in and get the result, it was winning ugly.

"Two or three years ago we would have come here, not fancied it and got beat."