Stourbridge 50

Otley 12

WITH two forwards unavailable, it was never going to be easy for Otley as they conceded 50 points at Stourbridge on Saturday.

Playing against the wind and rain in the first half, Otley spent much of their time defending.

The home side’s first score came after six minutes after Afeafe Haisila sold a dummy, and the try converted by Callum Morris.

Reece Beddows got the only yellow card of the game for taking Paul Petchey out in the air, but on his return a series of pick and drives created space on the left for Beddows to go over.

On 36 minutes, Stourbridge's Jack Lea added another try from a rolling maul and just before half-time following a turnover Nigel Mukarati made ground before passing to Dan Rundle, who sprinted over the line on the left wing for the bonus point try on the stroke of half-time to make the score 26-0.

If Otley thought they would benefit from the breeze after the restart they were to be disappointed, a situation made worse after Will Rigg came off injured.

Two further tries by Mark Harrison and Joe Heatley increased the size of the mountain.

Rigg’s replacement came off and Otley were down to 14 and the game was now being played with uncontested scrums.

Undaunted, and despite replacement James Costin-Pratt coming off injured, Otley continued to seek a spark and pressed forward.

The game returned to a five-metre scrum which became a penalty, and Otley's Henry Roberts exploited the situation to score, a try which went converted by Ben Smith.

On 72 minutes, Rundle scored for Stourbridge after the ball was moved along the back line from a scrum and he collected his second try of the day.

Otley’s forwards pushed the home pack behind the try line, and from the scrum Adam Malthouse took up the challenge of getting the ball to Gavin Stead for his debut try.

Regrettably Stourbridge were not finished. Morris intercepted a pass on the visitor's 22-metre line and galloped in under the posts, adding the extras moments later.