OLD Otliensians knew they were in for a tough home game against Yorkshire Three leaders Leeds Corinthians, who had only lost one game so far this season, but they produced a stunning performance to win 32-15.

The hosts took advantage of the howling wind being in their favour in the first half and this was rewarded with a fine penalty from near halfway by Will Cooper after only three minutes.

Rob Lofthouse then followed up Cooper’s chip through the Leeds defence and tackled the defender near the line. The forwards gained the ball and Joe Ridgway scampered over after 13 minutes to score a converted try.

Four minutes later, Corinthians’ quick winger outpaced the home defence to make it 10-5.

A last ditch tackle by Jacob Wragg stopped Leeds from scoring again and after a huge Olly Eaves kick gained good territory, the rest of the half saw play stay in the visitors’ 22.

Cooper scored another penalty, before he then pounced on a defensive fumble following a kick through to score a try. He added the extras himself.

Right on half-time, good lineout ball from Ali Campbell led to a neat loop by Eaves, who passed to Connor Bateman to sprint over unopposed for an unconverted try, making it 25-5 at the break.

The second half started with Leeds taking play immediately into the home 22 but ‘Ensians did well to hold up the heavy Leeds pack at the scrum.

On two occasions, when awarded penalties close in, the visitors inexplicably elected to kick for position and in each case, the superb home defence managed to scramble the ball away.

The pressure soon told, as the visitors opened the ball out to their winger to score a good but unconverted try.

Eaves then won a penalty following a fine run and from the ensuing lineout, several phases from the plundering ‘Ensians forwards took up valuable time.

Corinthians recovered the ball and moved into the home 22, but with captain Sam Featherstone leading the way, the hosts held out for a long time. But finally, after a constant attack on the line, the visitors went over to make it 25-15.

But it was ‘Ensians who completed the scoring with a flourish. From a defensive scrum, Lofthouse quickly moved the ball to Eaves,

He slipped it to Luke Cowdell, who after crashing through four tackles, gave a high pass over the defence to Cooper.

He then gave a perfect pass to Bateman, who sprinted down the wing to score a fine try out wide, before he converted his own score from the touchline.

Michael Groves and Dan Stevens led a stout defence late on, to deny Leeds any consolation.

‘Ensians will look to build on a great team performance in their next clash, a visit to Sheffield Medicals on January 4.