Sheffield Tigers 21

Otley 6

SHEFFIELD Tigers hunted down Otley to take the spoils in a Yorkshire derby on Saturday.

Although the wet conditions should have suited the Otley, the Cross Green men came up against a much-improved Tigers pack and were unable to get a foothold into the game.

Charlie Maunder, Otley’s Director of Rugby, said: “The Tigers executed their game really well and it was the best I’ve seen in years. They dominated in the forwards and frustrated our game plan. We didn’t have a lot of ball, but when we did get into the red zone we didn’t execute.”

Mark Ireland’s boot was in action after four minutes after Otley failed to release quickly enough, and Ben Smith levelled the score after 12 minutes.

Although the two sides traded two further penalties, in reality it was the Tigers who were in the ascendancy.

When a Max Johnson kick was being chased down by Paul Petchey to get into Sheffield’s half, shirt pulling by another Otley player brought the game back.

From that penalty, the home side strung seven phases together which led to their first try when Jack Roberts went over.

The Tigers continued to hunt Otley down and the visitors were lucky to get to half-way mark just a converted try behind.

Ireland extended the Tigers’ lead after 49 minutes with another penalty, and a double movement denied Jack Roberts his second try.

Otley then put together a 15-minute period of pressure, initiated by a break by Brett Mitchell and Johnson, a penalty into the right-hand corner getting them close.

Two further Tigers penalties followed, for not rolling away and pulling down, before Robert Davidson deliberately knocked on when Stephen Nolson looked in space with support on his flank.

Despite the yellow card, Otley left the opposition’s 22 pointless, and found themselves in their own having given away two penalties.

The heavy conditions were beginning to take their toll on both teams, and just as the game was ending Peter Swatkins went over to put clear water between the teams.