DESPITE occasional lapses in concentration at the back, Ilkley Town delivered a well-drilled performance to win 3-2 at home against a defensively-minded Newsome side.

Straight from kick-off, Ilkley showed enthusiasm and had a deflected shot bounce off the crossbar.

Eager to take advantage of their momentum, Ilkley’s Joe Hendrie tapped the ball home in the 10th minute, thanks to a low cross by Tom Fleming and a great attacking run by Tom Smith.

The hosts early goal deflated the visitors, as Ilkley were allowed to play through the thirds an retain possession.

Eventually, Ilkley’s sustained pressure paid dividends when Harry Brown’s shot, which was destined to nestle in the bottom corner, was saved by the Newsome keeper but only towards the feet of Smith, who easily tapped the ball into the open net.

Two minutes later, Ilkley were unlucky not to add a third goal as Smith capitalised on another fumble by Newsome’s Danny Armitage, but the Ilkley marksman was ruled offside.

In the second half, Newsome upped their game, pressuring Ilkley and challenging for any loose balls.

Due to miscommunication in Ilkley’s defence, Newsome were awarded a penalty, which was calmly dispatched despite keeper Adam Montague-Millar getting a firm hand on the ball.

The visitors continued to press Ilkley and their efforts were rewarded when their centre back rose above the defence and headed the ball home.

Within the space of two minutes, Newsome had pulled back the deficit and punished Ilkley for their mistakes to bring the game to 2-2.

In the 60th minute, Simon Armstrong brought on Ben Greenhow, and he worked wonders for the hosts.

Ilkley got back their momentum and shortly after, Ilkley right back Alfie Heaton drilled a low cross beyond the outstretched hand of Armitage, towards Fleming, who tapped the ball home, restoring Ilkley’s lead.

For the remainder of the game, both teams played aggressive, counter-attacking football.

They both had chances, including a shot blazed over the bar by Smith after some great build up play by Simon Armstrong’s men.

Ilkley managed to keep out Newsome after a final spell of pressure by the visitors to record their third consecutive win.