Otley enjoyed a 19-12 National Two North win at home to Loughborough Students in wet conditions.

The hosts had a dominant first half in the pack, frequently pushing Loughborough back to set up their first victory against the Students.

Loughborough kicked off and, having seen off their attacking players, Otley got off to the ideal start.

Within minutes they were pushing the visitors who were then caught offside. Ben Smith kicked the ball deep into their territory.

The line-out was caught by Jack Scott-Paul and from there the rolling maul saw Simon Willett go over.

At the first scrum Otley were able to push the students off the ball, and on 10 minutes the referee awarded Otley a penalty at a scrum in front of the Loughborough posts. Ben Smith added the three points.

Otley continued to press Loughborough, but 10 metres out were guilty of hanging onto the ball, and the momentum was lost.

In one of their first forays into the home side’s territory just after the quarter hour mark, Loughborough’s cross-field kick caught Otley on the back foot and Sam O’Leary-Blade went over in the corner. A penalty saw Otley move up the pitch, and a second penalty for hanging on was punished by Ben Smith to make the half-time score 11-5.

In the second half captain Brett Mitchell led the charge, breaking through the Students to run 20 yards, but was unable to get the pass away as he was tackled.

Undaunted, they continued to press and Loughborough were again caught offside and Otley capitalised. Although their first attack was held up on the line, from the scrum Otley’s forwards pushed the opposition back, allowing Max Johnson to touch down.

Loughborough then mounted two sustained periods of pressure on Otley’s line. Excellent defending saw the Students give away a penalty and Otley were able to clear their lines.

However, they were straight back after Otley missed a tackle down the left hand-side to find themselves back on their base line defending. On 66 minutes replacement prop Emmanuel Iyogun forced his way over from which Owen Waters converted.

Otley came back two minutes later with another penalty to put seven points between the sides to set up a nervy finish.

Otley came close but were turned over just before the line, and ended the game in their half seeing the game out.