POOL retained their trophy when they beat Ilkley Town on penalties in the Wharfedale FA Challenge Cup final at Nethermoor on Sunday.

After the match ended 1-1 after extra time, Pool scored four to Ilkley's two in the penalty shoot-out.

Pool went into this final as clear outsiders, but managed to give Ilkley something to think about with an early goal when Jamie Algar's effort rebounded to Jack Farrimond, who had the presence of mind to lob the ball over the stranded keeper into the net.

For the remainder of the half, Ilkley had most possession but only one clear cut chance, when a low cross from the left was fired over the bar from close range.

Pool had to make a substitution before half-time, as Algar sustained a knee injury when bravely going in one-on-one with the Ilkley keeper.

Ryan Firth came on to replace him.

Pool had generally looked comfortable to this point, with Billy Drake, Josh Wagstaff and Adam Caldow strong in midfield.

Ilkley had their strongest period in the middle of the second half, putting the Pool defence under the cosh, but, as in the first half, Pool's back four of Robert Cross, James Carroll, Ian Noble and Scott Firth were outstanding.

Ilkley then got the break they deserved when Pool were unable to clear from a corner, and their centre back fired home from close range for the equaliser.

Just when it looked like Ilkley might go on from this, Pool regrouped and again held firm, and indeed almost pinched the match in the final minutes, the tireless Josh Waite only just failing to convert a cross from Firth following a strong run up the right.

A second half injury to Farrimond, saw David Thompson join the fray, his fresh pair of legs doing Pool's cause no harm at all.

Both teams had a chance or two in extra time, but tired legs were beginning to show, and the match went to penalties.

Pool were first up, striking the crossbar with their first, and Ilkley scored. Then Pool scored, and their keeper Andy Doey made a magnificent save to even things up again.

Ilkley then hit the post with their fourth, so Pool just needed to put their final penalty away. Keeper Doey stepped up to take and fired powerfully into the net to ensure holders Pool retained the cup.

* Last Wednesday evening, Pool fended off relegation from Division One of the West Yorkshire League when a Jack Farrimond goal was enough for Pool to beat Aberford Albion 1-0 at their Arthington Lane ground.