INJURIES took their toll on Old Otliensians as they suffered a heavy 67-12 defeat at newly promoted league champions Goole on Saturday.

Old Otliensians could hardly have had a more difficult task to finish their season than to visit Goole with a depleted team mainly due to injuries.

Will Foster, Lee O'Donnell and coach Kris Stafford had been called up to fill the gaps, and the pitch proved to be very hard and dusty.

The visitors took advantage of a cold strong easterly breeze, but were soon pinned into their own 22 and the home team took the lead after three minutes with a penalty goal.

Goole soon showed why they were league champions with their well-organised team scoring a converted try after eight minutes.

'Ensians defended well but it was 20 minutes before they made inroads into the home half with captain Sam Featherstone gaining fine line-out ball.

Despite this, Goole made a break and with good open play scored an unconverted try.

Seven minutes minutes later, 'Ensians gained good possession and with the aid of two penalty goals and the ensuing line-out possession, the ball was opened out and stand-off Will Foster made a fine pass to Luke Cowdell, who crashed over for a try followed by his own conversion to cut the score to 15-7.

The visitors were on top in the scrums, but when the ball was gained by Goole their strong forwards linked well with their speedy backs and despite good tackling they cracked the visitors' defence, scoring two more tries towards the end of the half.

However, 'Ensians had the last success of the half with some good phases, winning a penalty to take play into the Goole 22.

Following a line-out won by Featherstone, there was a great drive, five-metre scrum and then another fine drive resulted in an unconverted try by Joe Armitage, reducing the deficit at half-time to 27-12.

For the first 10 minutes of the second half, all play was in the visitors' 22 with Goole launching attack after attack.

The visitors all defended like Trojans to keep their line intact and when they did have some possession opened the ball out in their traditional style.

Inevitably, the tackle count had its effect and Goole scored three tries in the next 10 minutes.

The team also took its toll in injuries with three players being unable to carry on.

With only one substitute available, this meant that 'Ensians were playing with two less players than Goole.

It is to the visitors credit that they never gave up, and despite being battered and bruised only conceded three more tries for the rampant home team to make a final score 67-12.

We wish Goole every success in Yorkshire League One whilst 'Ensians will have learned much in their foray to Yorkshire Two which will equip them well in Yorkshire Three next season.