AFTER a few weeks off, Burley Trojans were back to winning ways with a 4-2 victory at home against Harrogate Old Boys in the League Supplementary Cup.

Due to injuries player-manager Tom Higman had to shuffle the pack and dust off his own boots off to make his first appearance this season.

Burley were lifted by the return of Ben Garnham, making his first start of the season after his long-term Achilles injury.

The game got off to a flying start and there was some great football played by both sides with Danny Bryan creating chances from midfield.

After a positive start from Trojans, it was Harrogate who took the lead with a fantastic 25-yard strike.

This did not deter Burley as they grew in confidence as the half went on and it took less than five minutes for the equaliser to come, captain Dave Healey slotting the ball into the area for Danny Bryan to pull it back for striker Simon Walker to fire home low under the keeper for his first of the day.

Burley pushed hard for the second goal, as right back Chris Wheeler constantly launched balls into the box to makeshift striker Eddy Bryan who gave the Harrogate defence trouble all day with his flick-ons.

There was some neat play from Tom Ross in midfield who worked the ball into the box to the feet of Walker, who took a close range shot which struck a Harrogate defender's arm and a penalty was duly given.

Walker stepped up to coolly slot home his second. As half-time approached, a controversial equaliser came minutes before the break.

A ball was slotted past Richard Bryan and Healy into the path of not one but two Harrogate strikers, who seemed a couple of yards off-side but no whistle came and it was 2-2 going into the break.

Higman settled his side down at the break. His words of wisdom paid dividends as Burley's number nine Walker completed his hat-trick.

Red Bolton, working tirelessly on the wing, played in Danny Bryan who again set up Walker to chip the goalkeeper and wrap up an excellent day at the office for the veteran striker.

Some tough defending was needed as Harrogate pushed on, and all 11 Burley players battled hard to keep them at bay. Chris Holmes in goal was in fine form, bravely keeping Burley’s lead intact.

Walker was unlucky not to make his day even better as Burley claimed their second penalty of the day, Danny Bryan's jinking run taking the ball 30 yards before he was brought down in the area.

The referee had to award another spot-kick, but Walker's penalty hit the inside of the post and was scrambled away for a corner.

That mattered little in the end as Walker picked up the Man of the Match award.

Higman said: "Walker's plaudits were very much deserved but there were also several other players who stood out on the day."