YARNBURY came from behind to secure a 12-12 draw in a hard fought Yorkshire Two encounter at home to Wheatley Hills on Saturday.

Yarnbury were without their captain and centre James White, who was injured in their win at Goole last week.

Ian Maycock was unavailable in the pack, so Tom Goldthorpe started at the back of the scrum and Paul Kernick continued in the second row.

Yarnbury, full of confidence from bettering the league leaders, attacked with vigour for the first quarter and pinned the away side back in their own 22.

Unfortunately the final ball was missing and the Wheatley defence was not only solid but aggressive and Yarnbury had nothing to show for their efforts.

The nearest they came to scoring was in the 13nth minute when fast hands to the right gave winger Josh Bateson room to attack the line with his speed. He got the ball down in the corner and attacked the flag, but was ruled out for a foot in touch.

Wheatley got the ball eventually and made it count in impressive style in the 17th minute.

Putting pressure on the Yarnbury pack in the middle of the park, the ball was worked right and a slick pass to centre TP Mavaso saw a walk-in in the corner. Stand off Owen McGilfray hit the wrong side of the post with the conversion.

Yarnbury welcomed back No 8 Jimmy Cryan off the bench soon after and he immediately made a big impression with his carries to the heart of the defence.

Wheatley Hills made some big hits and the encounter was turning into a brutal war of attrition as both sides fought for dominance.

Yarnbury forced waves of attacks through their backs and forwards but gaps did not appear in the defence and the next score went to the Doncaster side.

Yarnbury lost the ball in the tackle and put Wheatley on attack in the Yarnbury half. Slick hands to prop Bradley Stephenson got him over the line, McGilvray converting to give Wheatley a 12-0 advantage at the break.

Yarnbury were not phased by their deficit and the passing and combinations organised by coach Bob Hood were impressive from the start of the New Year with assistant coach and hooker Tom Gilcrist a ‘livewire’ in the loose as Yarnbury worked the ball and the big Wheatley forwards around the field.

Josh Bell made a superb break down the field before winger Joe Pinnick was pulled down short.

Yarnbury’s best spell came in the third quarter as the pressure mounted on the away side but a penalty to the corner came to nothing as the ball was spilled from the line-out.

Forward pressure finally paid off for Yarnbury. After a succession of carries Jimmy Cryan forced the ball over the line and Will Marshall converted from out wide left to bring Yarnbury back into contention.

The last quarter was all Yarnbury as they kept up pressure on Wheatley's defence and always looked dangerous down the left.

They put full back Marshall into space and his speed did the rest scoring out left, but the conversion was missed and the scores were level.

The final play saw the Yarnbury full back have the chance to win the game with a penalty, which went narrowly wide of the posts.