A CLOSE game saw both Old Otliensians and North Ribblesdale share the spoils on a windy Saturday afternoon at Chaffers Field.

‘Ensians were looking to bounce back after a tough loss last week against Ripon, facing sixth place North Ribblesdale.

With North Ribb’s young, pacey side, this was going to be a tough test for ‘Ensians.

The game started off less than desirable for the home side as North Ribb's Tom Frik scored an early try. However, the wind rendered the conversion near impossible and so, inside five minutes, the score was 5-0 to the visitors.

‘Ensians answered quickly and after some pressure, Will Cooper managed to finish a phenomenal drop-goal making it 5-3 after 15 minutes.

Ribb’s pace was proving to be terminal for ‘Ensians, and Jonny Moore extended their lead to 10-3.

With wasted opportunities proving costly for the hosts and the game threatening to run away from them, ‘Ensians dug in, riding their exquisite defence led by man-of-the-match Oliver Eaves.

This in turn led to a great attacking move, and on the 25-minute mark,‘Ensians got their first try as Connor Bateman crossed the whitewash. Will Cooper's conversion levelled the score at 10-10.

‘Ensians had found their footing, and, after a heavy assault on North Ribb’s line, they managed to break through after a searing line-break by Eaves.

The resilient ‘Ensians’ defence kept the visitors out the half ended with the home side leading 15-10.

The second half had a sloppy start with both sides making frequent handling errors, the wind clearly playing a part in proceedings.

After five minutes, North Ribb's Ray Fromm broke the ‘Ensians line with a converted try to make it 17-15.

However, ‘Ensian’s resilience shone through once again, as a fantastic break by prop Toby Keep led to Bateman’s second try and a 20-17 scoreline, setting up a dramatic last 20 minutes.

As North Ribb chased the game, a stubborn ‘Ensians’ defence made it seem like they were going to take home the spoils.

However, a last-minute penalty would prove that it wasn't to be ‘Ensians’ day.

Mick Thwaite's last kick of the game tied the game at 20-20.