JOINT manager Russ O’Neill heralded "a real team performance" as Guiseley claimed a 3-1 victory at Nuneaton Borough.

The trip to face the National North's basement outfit coincided with the home side’s new manager Jimmy Ginnelly’s first home game and he was looking for a third straight win to cap a great start to his tenure.

But it was the Lions who came out victorious after a whirlwind start and the home side shooting themselves in the foot because of a red card.

Boro’s Nat Kelly was dismissed just after the hour mark for a late and dangerous challenge on Kaine Felix with the game still in the balance.

The Lions netted their third just minutes later and the game, as a contest, was over despite Boro’s newly-found never-say-die approach.

Rowan Liburd gave Guiseley the perfect start when he latched onto a through ball after 34 seconds and calmly slotted past home keeper Cam Belford.

The home side’s keeper captain made a fine save soon after as Alex Purver’s cross found the head of Scott Smith.

Ginnelly’s Boro equalised in the 11th minute when a long through ball reached Dior Angus and he slotted underneath visiting keeper Joe Green.

The Lions suffered the loss of right back Cliff Moyo soon after. He briefly continued after treatment but had to give in to his injury. Louis Walsh replaced him from the bench but that meant a switch to full back for Smith.

Guiseley edged back ahead minutes into the second half as Liburd bagged his brace with an excellent finish – the striker picking up possession on the edge of the area and firing a shot on the turn into the bottom corner of Belford’s net.

Kelly’s red card for his rash lunge at Felix gave the home side a mountain to climb and three minutes later Felix netted the Lions’ third. Walsh broke down the wing and rounded a defender before putting in a low ball that Felix turned in from close range.

The spirited home side responded and one effort hit the bar while Green had to be on top form to keep a later shot out.

The hard-earned win over the ten men of Boro lifted Guiseley up one place to 15th and pleased the management team.

Joint manager Russ O’Neill said: “In the circumstances – it was an emotional day for them (Nuneaton) – we knew we would have to be on our mettle.

“We worked all week on our mentality and our physicality and to be fair we started like a train. Fair play to Nuneaton because they showed a lot of fighting spirit, worked hard and made a game of it – we’re really happy with the three points.

“Every one of the players was marvellous and I don’t want to single anybody out. Liburd scored two goals, we defended well at the back, we had an enforced change with Cliff coming off and Scott moving to right back.

“The midfielders had to switch from footballers to digging it out as the pitch cut up as the game went on and they did it well. So it was a real team performance.”