ILKLEY Town were in cup action once again, this time in the County Cup Third Round against Field, and they went down 8-7 on penalties after playing out a thrilling 3-3 draw.

After a scrappy opening fifteen minutes, Toby Harris received the ball and ran at the Field defence. He created half a yard of space to unleash a fine effort which cannoned into the net off a post to make it 1-0 to Ilkley.

Town started to settle and move the ball better, beginning to impose themselves on the opposition.

However, it was Field who found the net next. Their left winger found space in behind to cross towards the penalty spot, where the unmarked centre forward was waiting to guide his header into the net for an equaliser.

Within minutes, Town had snatched the lead back. Harry Brown slipped a well-timed pass into Dave Hancock, who found himself one on one with the Field goalkeeper. Hancock took a touch and slotted into the corner to make it 2-1.

Town were dominating and missed three or four good opportunities to increase their lead and put the game out of reach. Field had to work tirelessly to ensure the score remained only 2-1 at the interval.

Ilkley looked to have the game wrapped up when Harris found space and time to turn on the edge of the penalty area and fire a thunderbolt in off the crossbar to put his side 3-1 in front.

Town then slipped up, allowing the game to become stretched, and they seemed half a yard off the opposition players at times.

Field worked the ball to the left and swung the ball into the penalty area. The cross caused confusion and presented the simplest of tasks to the centre forward, who netted with the simplest of headers to make it 3-2.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Field swung another set piece into the Ilkley penalty area. Town again failed to clear, with Field getting their deserved, late equaliser to bring the scores level at 3-3.

In the final ten minutes, both teams created half chances but it would take penalties in order to determine a winner.

Each side missed one of the regulation five spot kicks before the Field goalkeeper settled matters against his opposite number. He scored the winning penalty to make it 8-7 and book a place in round four.