OTLEY Town sprung a surprise in the third round of the West Yorkshire League's internal cup for first teams.

The hosts, who were second in Division Two, faced Wyke Wanderers, fourth in Division One, in the last 16.

Town went into the game with a few key absentees but, after a lengthy lay-off, captain Peter Long made his return alongside recalls for Matthew Houton and striker Daniel Petty.

Wanderers hit the woodwork before Town broke the deadlock in the 20th minute, with right back Callan Wells' great through-ball being neatly guided home by Long.

Five minutes later it was 2-0 after a long ball found Petty, who calmly lobbed the keeper from the corner of the penalty area but also picked up an injury that led to him being substituted.

However, Karl Fawcett scored scored five minutes before half-time for Wyke and also midway through the second half to make it 2-2.

But Otley got the winner in the 72nd minute courtesy of a mishit shot by substitute Michael Lambert-Tuthill. He had replaced injured centre back Steve Lisgo, who was man of the match.

Both sides ended the game with ten men after dismissals for Ryan Clay of Wyke and Bobby Neesham.

Town now face current Premier Division leaders Leeds City away in the quarter-finals.

There was no joy for Hartshead, however, as they went down 4-0 at Huddersfield Amateur in another third-round tie.

Premier Division cellar-dwellers Pool picked up a useful home point in a 1-1 draw against defending champions Carlton Athletic, with Tom Fleming netting for the hosts.

In Division One, Rawdon Old Boys beat visitors Wetherby Athletic 2-0 to go equal top with Whitkirk Wanderers.

Darren Nichols and Oliver Nightingale netted for the old boys, whose goal difference is plus 33 to Wanderers' plus 37, with both clubs having played 18 games.

Oxenhope Recreation are gradually pulling themselves away from trouble, with visitors Altofts being their latest victims.

Daniel Driver (2), Scott Nelson, Lee Reilly and Keann Shaw, plus an own goal, made up Rec's tally in a 6-1 victory as they climbed one place to tenth.

However, there seems little hope for basement boys Brighouse Old Boys as they lost 7-3 at Leeds Modernians, for whom Danny and James Claxton bagged hat-tricks.

In Division Two, Baildon Trinity Athletic lost 5-3 at Kellingley Welfare to remain in the bottom two.

Yet the Jenny Laners do have three games in hand on Old Centralians, who they trail by six points.

If it was a good week for Oxenhope Rec's first team, it was also a happy one for their second string, who won 2-0 at Wetherby Athletic to reach the quarter-finals of the League Trophy and a home tie against Robin Hood.

In Alliance Division One, Will Johnson got the consolation goal for Pool in a 6-1 defeat at Hartshead, while Alliance Division Two leaders Otley Town were held to a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield YM.

Ilkley Town dropped a place to seventh after a 3-2 defeat at Hall Green United, despite late goals by Duncan Brearley and substitute Chris Morris.