DECADES of summer fun and day trips are captured in these photographs showing how generations have enjoyed the outdoor life that comes with the warmer months.

The pictures, from the Yeadon section of Aireborough Historical Society archives, range from a sedate garden party, to paddling, fishing and day trips.

An undated and faded photograph shows two women seated at a table in a garden. It was taken at a Yeadon Methodist garden party, possibly at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.The original chapel was built on Chapel Hill in 1834, and later became the scene of bitter division.

The AHS website says: "A schism occurred between the different Methodist factions which led to violent disagreements in the chapel, as a result the reformers left and built a chapel on the High Street in 1855."

Calmer scenes were captured in 1984 when a number of boys were pictured fishing in the lake at Nunroyd Park. The photograph was donated to AHS by Dennis Court.

The parkland was originally owned by a mill owner and public benefactor Jonathan Peate (1837 - 1924), who built Nunroyd House. Along with his brothers, Joseph and Caleb, he built Nunroyd Mill in 1868. The mill was partly in Guiseley and partly in Yeadon, as Nunroyd Beck was the boundary between the two townships.

The land was gifted to the town and opened as a public park in1907.

Another, undated, picture captures a sunny day at Yeadon Tarn, or Yeadon Dam as it was known locally. A man can be seen fishing and two young boys look as though they are about to begin paddling.

The Dam was always a popular place to visit at holiday times. Children enjoyed playing in the water and boats were available for hire.

Generations of children in Yeadon have grown up enjoying fun at the tarn - which also used to be known as Moor Dam.

The lake is thought to have originated as a natural feature but came to be enlarged for industrial purposes and improved for leisure use. In 1925 Yeadon UDC bought the Moor Dam from Messrs D Waterworth for £2,400.

A decade later the lake was edged with stones to combat erosion.

The right hand page shows a series of outings - with large groups about to set off from Yeadon, and two smaller groups already enjoying their day out.

In one shot of a coach trip, taken in the 1950s, hoards of people wait to board buses at Windmill Lane. Howard German, who donated the picture is the small boy in the centre of the front row.

Another picture from the 1950s shows a group of men waiting to set off on a coach outing from outside the New Inn on Cemetery Road.

A packed charabanc is pictured about to set off from Yeadon. The image is undated but charabanc trips were a popular pastime in the early decades of the 20th century.

Factory day outings were treats enjoyed by workers in Yorkshire during the wakes weeks. Sometimes the trips would be paid for by mill owners.

Two smaller group can be seen already enjoying their days out. In one image, donated by Alan Pickles, five Aireborough Council employees, can be seen at the seaside. The picture is undated - but looks as though it could perhaps date to the 1950s. Aireborough was created in 1937 and then became a part of the Leeds Metropolitan District Council in 1974.

Another picture, which appears to have been taken in a studio, shows a five young men enjoying a trip to Blackpool. Herman Croft and Frank Crawford are believed to be the men on the left.