A CHARITY football tournament set up in memory of a

a talented player who died at the aged of 19 has raised £3,000.

Former Guiseley School pupil Murray Watson was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of brain tumour in his spinal cord in 2012. The once promising footballer was left paralysed and lost his fight for life in 2013. Murray, who played for Guiseley Juniors and Otley Town FC, had been hoping to study business and IT at university.

A trust which was set up to help Murray has continued since his death, collecting money for charitable causes. The trust, set up by Murray’s parents Kenny and Nicola, is currently raising money towards funding a wheelchair football team in Leeds, providing them with training facilities and kits.

The Murray Watson Cup tournament took place on Saturday, Aug 16, on the Nethermoor All Weather pitch. It involved eight teams of six from across Yorkshire in the all-day knockout event. The money was raised through donations and raffle prizes donated by local businesses.

Joe Dunning, who plays in goal, said: “It’s an awesome day to celebrate with what Muzza loved - family, friends and football. Muzz was a straight up baller and is missed everyday by so many people. This year has been amazing with the local community really coming together to donate prizes for our raffle on the day.”

Last year Murray’s dad Kenny raised money for a brain tumour charity by walking the West Highland Way.

Mr Watson helped raise £6322 along with former Leeds and Bradford footballer John Hendrie and fellow walkers Steve McFet, Chris Stones and Kev Mullen.

After the walk Mr Watson, who lives in Yeadon, said: “We were incredibly lucky to have had Murray as part of our lives for 19 years and with his and our friends support, we continue to raise money into the trust and help people, causes and charities that we know Murray would have felt passionate about.

“He always championed the underdog and when you read the facts about brain tumour research you will see why we raised funds for BTRS (Brain Tumour Research and Support across Yorkshire).”

Murray was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma, shortly after completing his A-levels. He had been planning to go to Northumbria University, but instead spent months in Leeds General Infirmary undergoing extensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

The Murray Watson Trust was set up to raise money for a stand up specialist wheelchair, but sadly Murray did not live to see it. His friends and family continued to raise money after his death, and his parents, Nicola and Kenny, said the trust fund would continue to support other teenagers who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.