SCHOOLDAYS at Aireborough Grammar are captured in these photographs spanning several decades.

The school, which closed in 1991 played a central role in the life of the area for a large part of the 20th century.

These pictures, from the archives of Aireborough Historical Society, show the building as it was being demolished and in its early days before it became a grammar school. They also show students and staff during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

The school started life as Yeadon and Guiseley Secondary in 1910 and can be seen in this photograph donated to AHS by Dennis Thornton.

It was built after representatives of Yeadon, Guiseley, Rawdon and Menston got together in 1906 to discuss the idea of a secondary school. Work began in 1907 and the school was opened on September 14 in 1910.

To start with the new school had just 71 pupils. The first headmaster was J E Dalton, and he was succeeded nine years later by W Rigby.

It became Aireborough Grammar School in 1937 after Yeadon, Guiseley and Rawdon were amalgamated to form the new district of Aireborough.

The school was closed in 1991 and was then demolished, to be replaced with a housing estate. But a reminder of its past remains in carved stones from the school being set into the wall of the estate. The names of two of the school’s houses are also remembered in the street names Coverley Rise and Fairfax Grove.

The Aireborough Historical Society photographs show life at the grammar over a number of decades.

In one of these a smiling group of prize winning pupils were pictured with their awards in the 1970s.

An equally happy group can be seen as they waited to board a coach for a school trip to Austria in 1969.

Also in 1969 the cast of a school production of Romeo and Juliet were photographed in costume.

England rugby player Nigel Melville is pictured, front right, in a photograph which was taken during the 1976/77 season.

The picture shows the 1st XV rugby team, which won 20 out of 21 matches that season. Back row, Graham Parker, Robert Whitaker, Mark Edwards-Smith, A Davison, Paul Goyea, Stephen Taylor, Ian Saunders, Stewart Grant, S Robinson and Geoff Thompson. Front row - Kevin Gaunt, Jeremy Clark, Nigel Lister, Philip Wade, Michael Pratt, Mick Goyea, Paul Mackie and Nigel Melville, who went on to captain England a number of times in the 1980s. The picture was donated to AHS by Mike Pratt.

An official school photograph from 1957 shows a large number of pupils.

Staff can be seen in a picture taken at the school’s Christmas Ball in 1967.

The school boasted some famous old boys, including cricketers Hedley Verity, and Brian Close, and rugby player Nigel Melville, as well as singer-songwriter Marc Almond, and Vice Admiral Sir Richard Ibbotson.

Hedley Verity a legendary spin bowler who took part in the controversial Bodyline tour of Australia in 1933. He was the holder of the world record of 10 wickets for 10 runs, in a match against Nottinghamshire in 1932. He lost his life in the Second World War after being severely wounded during the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943.

Cricketing legend Brian Close was the youngest man ever to play Test cricket for England, when he was picked at the age of 18. He went on to play 22 Test matches for his country. He died in 2015.

Marc Almond found fame as half of the duo Soft Cell. Sir Richard Ibbotson commanded British Forces Falklands Islands.