SUMMER fun at Yeadon Tarn has been enjoyed by young and old alike for generations.

The tarn, which used to be known as Moor Dam, has played an important part in the life of the town

The lake is thought to have originated as a natural feature but came to be enlarged for industrial purposes and improved for leisure use.

It is referred to as a fish pond on old maps.

In 1925 Yeadon UDC bought the Moor Dam from Messrs D Waterworth for £2,400.

The promenade walkway, at the southern end of the lake, was built in 1929 at the same time as the children’s playground was developed.

These photographs are from Aireborough Historical Society and at least one appears to go back as far as a century or so ago.

The two colour pictures were taken in the 1970s, and show children venturing out into the lake and youngsters fishing, with Yeadon Sailing Club to the right.

In stark contrast a postcard, donated to AHS by Dennis Court, which looks as though it dates back at least 100 years shows a group of boys in quite formal attire.

On the left of the image is Crompton Mill, also called Waterside Mill. The mill was built in 1869 by the Lord of the Manor for the Crompton Mill Company. It burned down in the 1950s.

The stone building to the right of the chimney is Ingots Building.

Cemetery Road runs behind the perimeter wall of the dam. The row of cottages with the gable end is Carlton Grange, the cottages to the right edge are on Cemetery Road.

Another postcard shows a view from Cemetery Road of what was then called Moor Dam - and is often still referred to as “t’Dam” by many Yeadon people. Across the dam can be seen some of Yeadon’s mill chimneys.

A photograph showing a man and a boy fishing is undated but was clearly taken many decades ago.

A photograph which appears to date back to the mid-20th century shows sail boats moored at the edge of the dam. Children are playing in the water and two women can be seen walking along the path.

The top right photograph shows people queuing to go on the rowing boats - while the boatman gets ready to pull in the a boat which has been out on the water. The undated picture also shows houses off Dam Lane.

Below that is a photograph taken in the 1960s by James Farrar, and donated to AHS by his son David Farrar.

The shot looks across the Tarn to the premises of John E Moore, which are now no longer there. Aireborough Boy’s Club was built on the site, which went on to become an outdoor pursuit centre. Ingots Building can be seen on the right.

Yeadon Tarn is still enjoyed by local people and visitors today - and now has the added advantage of giving fantastic views of planes taking off and landing at Leeds Bradford Airport.

Yeadon Tarnfield Park measures about 17 hectares and offers a range of attractions, including a playground, a BMX track, bowls, scenic walks and summer entertainment. The tarn is used for a number of water sports and is the base for the Leeds Sailing and Activity Centre.