SCENES from Horsforth’s past can be seen in these photographs harking back to the days when the suburb of Leeds was still a village.

Some of the photographs show impressive properties that have long since gone - such as the Springwood Dyeworks and Horsforth Hall. Others show familiar buildings- although the settings around them have changed

Many of the Aireborough Historical Society pictures reflect the importance of the Stanhope family to the town, which was once known as England’s largest village.

The important role played by the Stanhopes in the area’s history goes back to 1539 when Henry VIII closed down Kirkstall Abbey and its lands were sold off.

One of the buyers was a wealthy lawyer named Stanhope. The family went on to become prominent in the area. They built the Tudor Low Hall, which is now one of the oldest buildings in Horsforth.

The family lived in Low Hall until 1707 when they moved into Horsforth Hall - originally known as Horsforth New Hall.

The hall and its parkland were bought by William Mathieson and given to the people of Horsforth in 1932. The building was demolished in the 1950s, but hall park is still enjoyed by local people today. Although the house has been destroyed the listed stables remain

The Stanhopes themselves are still remembered in buildings, parkland and street names today.

The family built, or possibly rebuilt the Bell chapel on the Green and later went on to build St Margaret’s Church, which has continued to dominate the landscape as the area around it has changed. Built to replace the Bell Chapel, the church took 36 years to complete. The nave and chancel were finished in 1883 but it was 1901 when the belfry, spire and porches were completed.

Another building connected with the family was the Stanhope Arms pub at the junction of Fink Hill and Broadway.

The pub was originally a house built in around 1750 for John Hardy, who was land agent for the Spencer-Stanhope Estate.

By 1822 the building had become a public house, the landlord at that time was John Oddy. The name of the pub was changed to the 11th Earl in 1970 to avoid confusion with the Stanhope Hotel on Calverley Lane.

William Henry Leicester Stanhope was the 11th Earl Harrington.

A grocer’s shop and a painter and decorators business can be seen in the photograph of the pub. They were demolished to provide access to a car park.

Stanhope Drive is one of several streets named after the family. The street is lined with trees in memory of locals who lost their lives in the first world war.

The Stanhope family had close ties with other prominent families across the area.

In an undated photograph taken at Esholt Hall Mary Alexandrina Stanhope can be seen, front right, with her aunt Frances Elizabeth Crompton Stansfield and her cousins Consuela Albinia, front left, Evelyn Maud, back left, and Elizabeth Alexandra, right, who was an artist.

The three sisters inherited Esholt Hall in 1888 after the death of their father Major-General William H Crompton Stansfield.

Horsforth Springwood Dyeworks was the business of Frederick Wilson. The works closed in 1971 and were demolished. Housing is now on the site.

Other undated shots show the Liberal Club on Town Street and a view of Long Row.