WHEN most of these photographs were taken in 1920 the Croft family had already been running a thriving business in Yeadon for almost 70 years.

The family set up their carrier business in 1853, stabling their horses in Chapel Lane. The firm Isaac Croft & Sons went on to use the same premises as the base for its garage.

In the top left photograph three employees are pictured in front of one of the company vehicles. They are, left to right, Silson Long, Jack Greenwood and Sam Greenwood, who was the son-in-law of Isaac. They can also be seen bottom right.

In the photograph on the top right Isaac Croft is second left, standing with a group of employees in front of one of the vehicles. The lorry has solid tyres and is painted with the company name and telephone number, advertising a removal and storage business.

Isaac appears again wearing a flat cap in the right corner of the back row of the charabanc.

The vehicle was used as a haulage lorry during the week but the body could be lifted off to convert it for passengers. It was subject to a 12 mph speed restriction.

In 1904 the sons of Isaac Croft - Fred and Herman - were pictured with a horse which had been decorated for a carnival. All the photographs and information are courtesy of Aireborough Historical Society.