THIS ENORMOUS chimney at Greenholme Mills in Burley dominated the landscape for generations. Built in 1895 to replace the original chimney it was taken down brick by brick in 1963.

The Wharfedale Observer noted: “Little by little, one of Wharfedale’s old landmarks started to disappear this week, with the demolition of the chimney at the old Greenholme Mills of William Fison and Co Ltd, at Burley. The only mill chimney in the district, apart from the one at Scalebor park Hospital, the work on removing the chimney from the Burley scene by a firm of steeplejacks is to be spread over one or two months. “

In the 1950s a Guide celebration tea took place in Guiseley. The photograph, is from the archives of the Aireborough Historical Society.