Hague condemns 'appalling' violence

Hague condemns 'appalling' violence

Prayers have been said across France for the victims of the Toulouse shooting (AP)

Students comfort each other at the Ozar Hatorah Jewish school where a gunman opened fire killing four people in Toulouse (AP)

Jonathan Sandler was killed in a shooting in Toulouse alongside his two sons and one other child (AP)

First published in National News © by

The fatal shootings of a rabbi and three children outside a French school have been condemned by the British Government as an "appalling" act as south-west France was placed on the highest level of terrorism alert.

A manhunt is under way after Rabbi Johnathan Sandler, 30, his two young sons and another child were the victims of what was feared to be the latest in a string of racist murders.

The killings at Ozar Hatorah school in Toulouse on Monday were carried out with the same heavy calibre .45 automatic pistol used in two attacks in which three soldiers of north African and Caribbean origin were murdered in the region last week.

A man who lives near the school said he was with the rabbi just before he was shot.

"I said 'Bonjour' to him like normal," said the 29-year-old, who gave his name as Baroukh. "Then he went out into the school entrance. I heard the shots and I turned around and saw him on the ground. He looked dead. But I didn't have much time to see who did it because I panicked and started running away."

Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Monday: "I am horrified by the attack this morning on the Ozar Hatorah Jewish school in Toulouse.

"The British Government expresses its deep and sincere sympathy for the families and friends of the victims and for the entire Jewish community in France. This act of calculated cruelty will unite all decent people in revulsion and condemnation. There is no excuse for such acts of appalling violence."

The issues of race and religious minorities have been under scrutiny in France's presidential campaign. Incumbent president Nicolas Sarkozy flew to the scene and said authorities were raising the terrorism alert to scarlet - the highest on a four-point scale - in Toulouse and neighbouring areas.

Jewish leaders in Britain expressed their shock at the attack and rallied behind the victims' relatives. Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks said: "I am deeply shocked and saddened by the atrocious acts of murder in Toulouse this morning. We pray that the Almighty brings comfort to the children, parents and teachers at the Ozar Hatorah school and that the injured are speedily restored to full health."

It has emerged that the gunman may have filmed the attack. The French interior minister Claude Gueant said the attacker "was wearing on his bloody chest a kind of filming apparatus". Asked whether the gunman recorded the scene, he responded: "We can imagine that."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree