Guiseley 0 Accrington Stanley 0

BUMBLE’S car will have to wait – Guiseley are not going quietly out of the FA Cup.

David Lloyd, Accrington’s most famous fan, had no chance of nipping off early from Nethermoor today.

Not with Paul Cox’s fierce Lions constantly snapping at Stanley heels to earn a richly-deserved replay in Lancashire on Tuesday week.

Guiseley’s wait for a place in the second round goes on – for now at least. But they are in tonight’s draw for the first time in club history at the seventh attempt.

Manager Cox, who has already taken three non-league clubs to round three, will not be giving up this tie yet, even against a team currently second in League Two.

Guiseley made their intentions plain from the start, Connor Brown fouling Sean McConville to the floor within the opening five seconds.

Accrington looked to impose themselves early – and should have done so by scoring in the second minute.

Bradford-born Stanley striker Kayden Jackson was one of a number of connections between the clubs, having played for Guiseley’s academy.

With seven goals under his belt so far this season, he is already attracting the scouts to the Wham Stadium ahead of the January window.

But he blew a golden chance to break the deadlock, firing wildly over from four yards after Mark Hughes nodded McConville’s free-kick into his path.

It was a major let-off for Guiseley, who settled after that nervy opening to threaten themselves after 18 minutes.

The home side looked to exploit their edge in physicality as Mike Fondop met Lee Molyneux’s cross with a glancing header that most of the ground thought was sneaking in at the far post.

Fondop was half-turning in celebration but keeper Aaron Chapman got just enough on it to turn the ball wide – the first of several key saves to deny the Lions.

Guiseley looked to sling the ball into the box at every opportunity and left back Darren Holden’s long throw-ins were proving a potent weapon.

Kayode Odejayi, who counts Accrington among his many former clubs, got on the end of one to nod across goal and wide.

The League Two side were indebted to Chapman’s reflexes again in the 27th minute. Kevan Hurst whipped in a tasty cross that was met firmly by Jake Lawlor – only for the keeper to acrobatically claw it away from the top corner.

And then it was Hurst’s turn to be foiled, his deflected shot from the edge of the box flipped over the bar by the leaping Chapman.

It was not a footballing classic but a gripping, honest cup tie – you would not have known that 42 places separated the sides in league terms.

Accrington right winger Jordan Clark, scorer of the decisive penalty in last season’s marathon EFL Cup shoot-out with the Bantams, had been a quiet figure.

But the visitors looked to get him on the ball more after the break as they pushed again for that elusive breakthrough.

Still Guiseley stood firm and Fondop showed power and strength to turn sharply in the Accrington box and warm Chapman’s hands.

As the game continued to open up, Accrington threatened to break out from a couple of Guiseley attacks through the speedy Jackson. Holden left one backpass short but Jonathan Maxted was alert to the danger and raced out to clear.

But Fondop looked the most likely scorer and Nethermoor rose to acclaim his lashed shot just after the hour – only to see it flash inches wide. The striker wasn’t the only one holding his head in disbelief.

Clark responded with a whipped cross that ricocheted goalwards off home defender Ash Palmer – but Maxted saved the skipper’s blushes with a reaction block to grab it at the second attempt.

Hurst cleared the Accrington bar with a cheeky lob but was then outdone by Billy Kee’s acrobatic overhead from Janoi Donacien’s throw at the other end which bounced wide with Maxted helpless.

Cox threw on John Rooney with ten minutes left – the inevitable “Rooney, Rooney” chants greeting his arrival.

The headlines were ready to be written when a free-kick broke in his direction but he tried to place a side-foot shot and missed the target from 15 yards.

Accrington threatened to snatch it in the first minute of added time but McConville volleyed over at the far post from Clark’s deep cross.

And there was still time for star man Fondop to try his luck one more time, Chapman again proving his nemesis with a tip round the post.

GUISELEY: Chapman, Brown, Palmer, M’Boungou, Holden, Hurst (Haworth 86min), Lawlor, Lenighan, Molyneux (Rooney 80min), Fondop, Odejayi. Subs (not used): Lowe, Thompson, McFadzean, Koue, Green.

ACCRINGTON: Chapman, Donacien, Richards-Everton, Hughes, Thorniley, Clark, Conneely, Brown (Johnson 60min), McConville, Kee, Jackson. Subs (not used): McLeod, Edwards, Wilks, Ogle, Rawson, Nolan.