Burley Trojans Juniors U-15s 2 Ventus United Youth U-16s 3

Ventus United lifted the Wharfedale FA Junior Cup after a closely-contested final at Otley Town’s Old Showfield Ground on Friday.

Ventus made the early running and established a 3-0 lead by half-time.

Jordan Walker and Simon Geldar (2) were on target and it seemed that the Burley side were in for a tough night.

But Burley manager, Kevin Harwood didn’t see it that way. He made a couple of tactical changes at the break, which turned the game on its head.

Trojans were the dominant team in the second half and fought back with goals from Curtis Tiplady and Jake Wilson.

In the end, the Burley boys could not find that elusive third goal, to take the game into extra time and the Ventus boys just did enough to hold out to lift the trophy.

Phil Thompson, the managing director of competition sponsors Resource Print Solutions of Bramley, and his family, attended the game. After the match he presented a memento to each of the boys.

The man of the match award was presented to Aaron Irving of Ventus United by Pauline Swart.

The memento is in memory of George Swart who was a goalkeeper for Horsforth St. Margaret’s .

George went on to be secretary of the club and in later years became treasurer of the West Yorkshire League.

The trophy was donated by his family and friends in recognition of his contribution to Wharfedale soccer.

Wharfedale FA secretart Keith Urquhart said afterwards: “Our thanks must go to the management at Otley Town for the loan of their facilities and of course to the officials, referee Jonathan Moss, assistants Reid Haddow and Dean Grant and the fourth Official Antony McGowan.”

Despite facing a very busy weekend, referee Moss, from Horsforth, kindly agreed to officiate this game for his local District FA.

He had to rush off at the end of the game, as he had to spend the night in the Midlands. On Saturday he was fourth official for the Premier League game between West Brom and Everton.

Sunday saw Jonathan in the middle for the League One play-off semi-final in which MK Dons edged a win against Peterborough in a five-goal thriller.

This match was televised live on satellite TV and proved to be a real thriller.