Guiseley Yellows u-12s 2 Farsley u-12s

Tom Wright’s injury-plagued season ended on a high when the substitute netted a late winner which enabled Guiseley Yellows to retain the Garforth Junior League under-12s nine-a-side Challenge Cup.

A superb reverse pass from the impressive centre forward, Jack McLaughlan, caught the Farsley defence off guard for virtually the only time in the game, and Wright took advantage to fire into the roof of the net.

Following last season’s league and cup double, the Yellows had been promoted into the top division and had finished second just two points behind Horsforth St Margaret’s, who they had comprehensively beaten in the semi-final 5-2.

The final performance was not as fluid, with Farsley breaking up play effectively. The Yellows had plenty to think about on the break.

Guiseley went ahead when a speculative shot by Jack McLaughlan eluded the grasp of Farsley keeper Ethan Cotton and trickled over the line.

Top scorer Louis Adams and went close with a volley A great move down the right led to a superb cross by the tireless midfielder, Joseph Clancy, which was neatly volleyed by top scorer, Louis Adams, in the centre but well saved by the Farsley keeper.

Shortly afterwards, Adams turned provider with the best passing move of the match leading to a defence-splitting ball to Frankie Brimacombe went close and just before the break Nick Brayshaw blasted a decent chance over the bar from the edge of the area.

At the end of the half, shot specialist, Nick Brayshaw, blasted over with a decent chance from the edge of the box, and the score remained 1-0.

The second half saw a number of changes for Guiseley and the emphasis changed with Farsley gaining confidence and more of the ball.

Jay Harris and Finlay Colyer kept Farsley chances to a minimum while goalkeeper Callum Oddy kept the Yellows hoping that one goal would be sufficient to win the game.

With a little over ten minutes remaining, defender Oliver Brearley equalised with a well-placed header.

Only a brilliant save by Callum Oddy from a great strike from former Guiseley player Max Parrot prevented Farsley taking the lead.

Extra time saw a further change to the Guiseley line up and this certainly had a beneficial effect, with the team gaining the upper hand and only a superb save by Farlsey’s keeper from a fine right foot half volley from Max Longman kept the scores level.

With seconds remaining, the muscular McLaughlan produced a touch of finesse when he played in a fine ball for Wright who made no mistake and triggered his team's celebrations.

The successful coaching duo of Dave Collyer and Nick McLaughlan, commented: “After last season’s promotion, we knew this one would be a much bigger challenge, and it’s a great credit to the lads - nearly all of whom were here last season - that they’ve retained this Cup and finished so well in the league.”