Ormskirk 0 Yarnbury 31

Yarnbury are just one win away from a Twickenham appearance after convincingly winning their RFU Senior Vase quarter-final.

Rivals Ormskirk rated them as comfortably the best side to have visited Green Lane for many seasons.

And Yarnbury will hope to create a similar impression when they tackle the Northamptonshire side Stewarts and Lloyds at Brownberrie Lane on Saturday, April 19 in the semi-final. AT stake is a place in the final at the headquarters of English rugby on Sunday, May 4.

Yarnbury went ahead within the first two minutes at Ormskirk. With their first touch of the ball they sucked in the home pack with a strong driving maul before good hands and strong running saw their speedy outside centre Jason Avison leave the defence flat-footed to score to the left of the posts.

The try was converted by Carl Paterson and Yarnbury led 7-0. Ormskirk came straight back at the Yorkshire men and after good sleight of hand from fly-half Andy Croft put Dan Hitchlock through a gap it appeared that they may get straight back in the game but unfortunately his long pass didn't go to hand and the chance was missed.

Yarnbury were stretching the hosts' defence regularly and but for some impressive drift defence and last-gasp tackling they could have added numerous first-half scores when they were playing with the wind at their backs.

As it was they did add two scores before the break, firstly another good display of handling down the back line put winger Lee Mortimer in out wide and then just before half time big second row Ian Maycock crashed over in the corner.

Ormskirk were frustrated by the try despairingly asking for foot in touch but the score was well taken. Newcomer Jarrod Huss converted with Paterson injured.

Although Yarnbury where clearly the better team, Ormskirk didn't give up. They seemed to enjoy testing themselves against such strong opposition.

The second half was a slightly more even affair with Ormskirk enjoying more possession than in the first as they utilised the strong crossfield breeze, but Yarnbury’s defence was up to the test.

Line breaks were made from the strong carrying of utility forward Ryan Purcell and back-rows Glyn Roberts and Mark Webster but all chances were snuffed out quickly by Yarnbury’s solid tackling.

Coaches Bob Hood and Garry Walker had big decisions to make as injuries took their toll with Russ Gomersall on for Maycock who was hurt in taking his try just before half- time.

Gomersall was pumped up and impressive in his role and relished the work against the Ormskirk pack making good yards on several occasions as he followed the example of No8 Jimmy Cryan.

His brother Elis Gomersall on the left wing then showed is pace and strength out wide to hug the touchline and cross the line whilst holding off a determined defence.

Replacement full back Huss then judged the conversion to perfection in a difficult swirling wind to break Ormskirk’s hearts but not their spirit.

Yarnbury saved their best for last. A five-metre line out was caught before a well-orchestrated drive produced a try for Tom Gilcrist.

It was a fitting end to a most impressive display.